Good environment for Hairgrass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hola!

With my return home after graduation and stubborn unemployment I have been investing time into my FW tank. I am currently growing a sparse 5-6 stalks of anacharis in a mix of Pure Laterite and 3 years of fish waste, illuminated 96w PC fluorescent (Bulb is either 10K or 6.7K). I have been dosing 1ml of Flourish every week and the stalks are doing well. It was suggested to me to try Dwarf Hairgrass, I was told it would thrive in these conditions, is that true?

They should be ok. I had it in a 110 gal with 4x54 w which put it just under 2wpg. Mine was in the sand so I gave root ferts (hairgrass is a member of the sword family and are heavy root feeders. They like iron so your substrate is a plus), and it enjoyed co2. Yours has the potential to do well, just monitor it if you get it. I would have root tabs on hand because the laterite may not be sufficient for all of the plants nutritional needs. How tall is your tank and is your 46gal the one your using for the plants in question?

My 46gal. is the tank I'll be planting in, just measured and it is 21.75 inches tall, the water level is right around 21 inches. Thanks for the info, now I'll have something to plant today!

Back
Top Bottom