good low light background plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Im looking for a good lowlight background plant. I currently have Anarchis, but the leaves are always clogging up my filter. Is there anything that will grow tall with some broader, less fragile leaves maybe? and that will be good in less than 2wpg? TIA

just looking at some of the plants on plantgeek.net... do you think Hornwort would fit my criteria? Or would it fall apart just as easy???

Just found a refernce for Giant Hygro. It looks like exactly what i am looking for, Any suggestions for this plant? Also, where could i find it? LOL. TIA

I would skip out on the hornwort. It falls apart readily also if parameters aren't good. I like the, Bolbitis heudelotti a lot. Of course it is a slow grower but non the less. Another alternative is drift wood positioned further back in the tank. You can start java ferns on it and slowly "green" up giving a nice backdrop. I have a piece of drift wook in my tank near a back corner. I placed three small java ferns in the crevices of and the rhizome has begun to wrap itself around portions of the wood. Also within a 4 to 6 weeks the largest plant is about 14 leaves in all. On a thiner piece of drift wood really looks good. Some of the crypts may suit your needs but I think other plant leave forms are often more intresting, although a few scattered in adds a lot to the overall appeal. I probably wouldn't try the giant hygro under 2 WPG, unless you can get into the medium low range, WPG.

However I see you have so plants already in the sig not usually thought of as low light plants. If they are doing well then go ahead and try a few medium light plants.

Bolbitis heudelotti: what is taht???

aslo i love the Java fern idea, if i can find some nice flatish pieces of driftwood, i think that sounds awesome.

Rotala indica is a very easy to grow plant, that'll do fine with 2wpg, and may even display pink tips. I would use some CO2 injection at 2wpg as well, if you aren't already.

Another interesting low light background plant is crypt. retrospiralis, if you can find it.

i just have 2 15 watt UV, bulbs and i can't afford to buy anything else. EDIT.. they are aqua-glo 15 W 18" bulb, not UV.
I tried the CO2 injection, it was too much trouble, so i went back to more simple set up.

Greenmagi, i looked at plantgeek.net first and i didn't find anything that interested me, thanks though.

Wisteria isn't a true aquarium plant is it? Ive heard its really a pond plant.

UV bulbs? those aren't plant bulbs, and need to be changed if you want any hope to keep healthy plants. that's why your anacharis is dying.

your might have trouble with growing live plants with only 30 watts of NO.. Im assuming your speaking of your 55gallon.. And the bulbs themself shouldnt be that big of a problem.. I would assume that they are close to the correct color temperature (live plants are actually adaptable to some degree).

well, can i find any 18" bulbs that are more than 15 watts? that's the problem, if i could find the bulbs then that would be fine, but this was the best bulb i could find. I don't want to go over 2wpg because im not ready for the CO2 responsibility (im planning on having my first kid this year and ive got 8 months of RN school left) SO if i could find like two 55 watt bulbs or something like that, but i haven't seen anything like that??? Also of course that are made for promotion of plant growth AND help light up fish.

there are double tube fixtures.. there is also 2X overiving wich would only up the output by 50% much less then 2wpg.. more like 1.5wpg the ballast is only $8 and is available from any large hardware store.. +15 min of time to wire it..

ok, but is there any just plain bulbs that will fit what i already have? i donj't even know what a ballast is. If anyone has a link to a good bulb that will fit my 18" hood, please let me know.

you cant get more power out of the same length bulb.. sorry bout that..
and the ballast it the little box (that is most likely mounted above your lights in the strip) that takes the power from the wall and fires the bulbs. (wiring diagrams are generaly on the ballast)

so basically your saying i need to shell out the cash for a new fixture?? I just don't have the money for that right now... but so far its doing ok like it is, so i guess im not to worried.

It would need a new fixture or a new ballast to give you more watts/lumens..
But.. If things are working well.. theres no need to fix it.. :p
If you want the plants to do better then you can look to upgrade in the future.. :p

Back
Top Bottom