good nitrATE eating hardy plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joekoug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 community with a 4 X 65 PC, only using 2 10k bulbs. Tank is stocked... What plants won't need co2 but will eat up lots of nitrates?

Thanks
Joe

Well with that amount of light you are going to need CO2 no matter what.

I know, After spending about 600 on my tank, light, etc... I have to hold off for a few weeks untill I can spare the 200 on a pressurized system. Though my cabomba and anacharis are growing like mad with the pc's and some flourish. what are some good nitrATE eating plants I could get when I get my c02 system?

Thanks
Joe

Joe,

Every aquatic plant consumes nitrates. Fast growing stems consume it more quickly, while slow growers (java fern, anubias, crypts) consume far less.

Nitrate consumption is going to be the least of your worries! You are going to be adding nitrate in that tank, most likely. This is the setup I have, and I do a very careful dance to balance CO2, nutrients and light. It is the biggest pain-in-the-neck tank I have, and I have several....

Nitrate consumption is going to be the least of your worries!
That really depends on stocking level.
In my overstocked 100g tank(13 4"-6" discus plus about 80 other fish), I dump 3-4 ounces of frozen bloodworms into the tank daily. There is no way my plants(fully planted high-light/CO2) can use all the nitrates.

4.7wpg is some serious light, though, and nitrate is certianly not going to be a "problem" that can't be dealt with during regular water changes. Algae is going to likely be the problem. That's how it has been for me with the same light/tank combo, at least.

I'm using an emersed plant called pothos to consume nitrates in my bare discus and pleco tanks. The verdicts still out on this.

TG is right about the balancing act. With that much light and no CO2, I can't see any way algae isn't going to be a problem. Any plant you put in that tank will likely be outcompeted for nutrients by algae.

Not trying to sound like a smart a$%, but what were you thinking Joe? 4.7 WPG without CO2? 8O research, research, research.....

Back
Top Bottom