Good Plant to Withstand Excel Product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbles10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank with some tetras, a small algae eater, and a julii catfish. I had gotten a plant from a friend's tank a few months ago, which I believe to be some type of Ludwigia? I started to use Flourish Excel in my tank and within a day, all of my plants were "melting" - the leaves disappeared over the course of a few days and all that is left now are the stems. I was told that some plants are sensitive to Excel.

Any ideas on what type of plant I can get to put in my tank that will not be sensitive to Excel? I am looking for something that continues to reproduce on it's own, and at a fairly quick pace. That's why I loved the Ludwigia because I could stock my whole tank with the plants with only having to purchase two or three of them because they continually grew tall and I would cut them in half and replant them.

Have you looked into water wisteria? Grows fast and easy to tend to.

A fairly small number of plants react adversely to Excel, so without knowing what plants you have, we can't possibly say what your problem is.

The most obviously question at hand is how much light you have. That's going to dictate your limitations more than many other factors. Also, with a 10g, DIY CO2 is a very viable option that will get much better results than Excel will.

I am growing wisteria, water sprite, etc...they are not showing signs of sensitivity, just flourishing away...

I have tons of plants in my 220g and use liquid carbon daily and they also flourish. There are a handful of plants sensitive to it but not alot. What plants melted because I've got Ludwigia in a couple tanks and have no melting issues using it.

Back
Top Bottom