Good Plants that would Contrast my Current Ones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! I think my tank needs more contrast, so before I put in a huge plant order and regret it, I want your opinions. I would like to put in some background plants that would contrast my Amazon/Melon Swords well. I will have mostly Cryptocoryne in the mid-ground. Also, in the second picture, I want to put something in my Broadleaf Sagittaria's place since it isn't doing too well for some reason and it doesn't add anything to my aquascape. Here are the pictures: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403832602.036085.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403832636.098433.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403832660.920730.jpg

I can add rocks/driftwood. I have T5 HO lighting, and I dose PPS-Pro and Flourish Excel daily. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also note that I'm going to be putting Staurogyne repens in my foreground.

What contrast are you looking for?
Colour?
Leaf structure?

What contrast are you looking for?
Colour?
Leaf structure?

A little bit of both actually. If I could get different colored plants, that'd be great. I definitely want the leaf structure to be different.

I dont know where your lighting level sits. But you get good choices in medium and high light.

Check out...
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon stellata
Rotala wallichi
Rotali rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens
Ammania bonsai
Hygrophilia species.

A good source of information on plants is the tropica website
Www.tropica.com

I dont know where your lighting level sits. But you get good choices in medium and high light.

Check out...
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon stellata
Rotala wallichi
Rotali rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens
Ammania bonsai
Hygrophilia species.

A good source of information on plants is the tropica website
Www.tropica.com

I've heard from others that I have medium lighting. I like the Rotala rotundifolia and Ludwigia repens. I had Ludwigia repens at one time, but I was inexperienced and put it in an area that was shaded a little bit. I know better now haha. I've heard that both of these plants are both hardy and adaptable too. What would you suggest for a mid-ground plant that would be by Crypt Undulata 'red' and in front of an Amazon Sword? Maybe something grassy? I'm not a big Sagittaria fan anymore.

Im about to try blyxa in a future build. Might be worth looking at

Good plants that would contrast my current ones

Im about to try blyxa in a future build. Might be worth looking at

I don't know if that plant would work in my tank. I've read that it is hard to get going and is hard to take care of in general. What about Crypt Spiralis or Cyperus helferi? Or maybe Crypt balansae? Any other suggestions would be appreciated ?

Pretty sure the AR in the tc packs is not the 'mini' version. Cyperus helferi is a great background plant. Red tiger lotus makes a good space filler with a deep contrasting color.

Jeta - Good catch. The AR mini is not found in the tissue culture gel packs. The regular AR is.

Pretty sure the AR in the tc packs is not the 'mini' version. Cyperus helferi is a great background plant. Red tiger lotus makes a good space filler with a deep contrasting color.

I'll see if it's available online then. I'm glad you told me that haha. I'm either going to have AR or Red Tiger Lotus in that mid-ground region. In the background, I'm definitely going to have a Crinum Calamistratum as my centerpiece, and that will be around 2 of the 3 following plants: Ludwigia repens, Rotala rotundifolia, and Cyperus helferi.

Good plants that would contrast my current ones

Cough cough I know someone who has crinum, ludwigia, rotala, tiger lotus, and cyperus helferi available right now.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Haha! I think I know who you're talking about. Would it be a good idea to purchase some of your iron-up tabs to help the Ludwigia? I have some Fluorite/Eco-Complete, but I'd like to add a boost to my Crypts and Amazon/Melon Swords growth/color as well. Which of your tabs do you think would be the most useful?

I'd go with the original rutab formula since it has everything in it.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Okay. I think my swords will finally take off. They are growing well, but they're not growing fast enough leaf wise. This should help them. Also, my crypts should start to grow faster. Do I just put one tab under each sword and around the crypts? How long do they last too? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom