Got $100 Petsmart gift certificate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says it all.

Looking to buy a bottle of fert, some Prime dechlor (store by me has none, so I can't wait to buy a bottle again), and a new bulb. What kind of bulb should I buy?

What else should I buy that would benefit a low light planted? Dry goods only because I get all my plants/fish at a place near me in Flushing.

Thanks

You aren't going to find a bulb worth much of anything at petsmart for a planted tank, unfortunately. Some petsmarts carry flourish comprehensive, and flourish excel. Those would be your best bets for fert if you must buy at petsmart. Rather than get those, maybe consider buying a second tank... there really isn't much else you can buy at petsmart that is really great for a planted tank...

No room for a second tank, unfortunately. I think I'll just save it for down the road when I need to buy essentials (ferts, food, dechlorinator). I barely ever shop at Petsmart, but for things like that I go there. Thanks anyway!

You should be able to get a decent lowlight bulb for under a hundred bucks there.

I wouldn't buy a standard t8 or t12 bulb at petsmart. You will pay 3x as much as you would elsewhere. The "plant specialty" bulbs from there are no different than a normal 10000k daylight bulb that you can get at HD or Lowes.

My petsmart has T5HOs and stuff too. Coralife brand I think or something. Anyway, they are pretty good plant bulbs, and not too expensive. Especially if you have a $100 giftcard lol.

--Adeeb

hmm never seen the t5ho bulbs at any local petsmarts (Georgia or Arizona for me). But I checked the website, they do sell a t5ho bulb. Pretty pricey though... of course it would require that you have a t5ho fixture to put it in ;).

How about filtration? They sell some decent canister filters at petsmart if you wanted to upgrade in that department (not sure what you are running).

All Petcos are not created equal.
Agreed. I would, however, argue that all Petsmarts/Petcos are created substandardly (which probably isn't a word, but should make sense :) ), especially when it comes to stuff for planted tanks.

Agreed. I would, however, argue that all Petsmarts/Petcos are created substandardly (which probably isn't a word, but should make sense :) ), especially when it comes to stuff for planted tanks.
Ahh, but it is a legit word in the English language.

I'd consider blowing the gift certificate on a T5HO light. Some Petsmarts do carry them. I've got two by me. One carries T5HO, one doesn't. The one that does carry them usually has them on sale though.

Just bought "essentials"....got a bottle of Prime, Omega One flakes, Flourish, a new bulb, and a light timer for my frog tank. Got like $30 something left.

Back
Top Bottom