Got the ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got the ferts recommended in an earlier thread . Once I get some feedback from some friends here at AA on how and how much to dose. I hope to see some improvement in my plants. As I get a bit better at this I will post more pics to show any improvement. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far. I guarantee you will want to pull your hair out by the time I get this figured out. Such a planted tank noob. :oops:

welcome to my boat! LOL I think everyone's gone done with pulling their hair out after answering all my dang questions :?

Blazeyreef, I think I may have you beat. I am so overwhelmed and confused I have to sit down whenever I start thinking about it. ROFL. One thing I have learned through this hobby is PATIENCE! Hopefully others have it too. :)

Got everyone's responces, thanks a lot guys. Don't worry I will call whenever I need help. You may live to regret that offer. LOL.

Z
Since you have a Discus tank and are good about Water changes, this will be easy.

For lighting: try a 2x 54 watt T5 set up.
That's a nice amount of light for the tank.

I would build two nice piles of drift wood on either side of the tank asymmetrically with a nice off center path leading to the back.

I'd suggest adding Narrow leaf java fern all over the wood and Anubias, Bolbitus etc.

You can use white sand in the foreground if you wish and use something like the ADA aqua soil substrate in the rear(3x9 liter bags will do well).

This will make the tank look nice and be easy to care for as well as be nice for the fish.

I'd suggest using CO2.
It's easy to use.

The KH is bit high for some fish, but if they are fine, stay with it.
It's a little less than 8 degrees.
Go to the pH/KH/CO2 chart and follow down what pH is needed to get 30ppm and add enough CO2 to get that pH.
Do not do anything else to change pH, other than use CO2, that's what the plants.

You can do this for a WC routine, 2x a week, 40-50%, and dose the nutrients thereafter(2x a week).

Add after each water change:

3/4 teaspoon KNO3
1/8 tsp or a tad more of KH2PO4
TMG: 15 mls 2-3x a week

That's all there is to the routine at this point.
Pack the tank full with plants when you plant the tank.

The CO2 and light upgrade will really help and make the layout and care really easy and very nice plant growth.

You can sell Bolbitus and narrow leaf java fern for lots of $$$ on aquabid to off set cost.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tank is 75 gals, no CO2, NO3 is at best 5ppm, can't go more than 5 days without pwc, discus tank requires regular pwc's. No ammonia or nitrite. PO4 is .25ppm, ph is 7.6 ppm, Kh is 140, gh is 80mg/l (don't know the conversion). Tank is not near sunlight, 9 discus, 3 cories and 2 clown loaches, been set up for a year. 60 wattso of bulbs in total on the tank so that would be .8 WPG right? Did I forget anything, I can take iron and calcuim tests if need be.

Zagz said:
I accept ALL offers of help. You may now form the Zagz plant help club. LOL

With all the offers in this thread, I don't think you are going to have any problems getting help. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom