Gouramis eating my vals???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently planted some jungle vals in my 37-gallon tank. A few days ago I noticed some places where pieces were missing from the edges of several stems. This morning I noticed my largest gold gourami making some odd movements. I looked closer and it was tearing at one of the stems. It shook for a few seconds then moved away with a piece of foliage in its mouth, then it swallowed it.

I thought gouramis didnt eat plants. :confused:

Hmmm... this may explain why my anacharis plants are turning into sticks as well.

Any ideas? I feed them regularly and adequately. I love the fish and the plants, but I dont want the fish tearing up my plants either.

My two kissers destroy all my plants, so my dream of a planted tank with them failed.. They ruined them all :( They do it even with full bellies!

I can't say for all gouramis, but IME with dwarf gouramis they can definitely tear up some plants. My jungle vals also got completely eaten, and others get snacked on such as anacharis, hornwort, frogbit, and riccia. Stuff like swords, ferns, and anubias they seem to leave alone. I've had good luck with both anacharis and riccia because it seems to be able to grow faster than it can be eaten.

My dwarf gourami's absolutey love blanched zucchini and peas. I feed each of those veggies once a week, that way they get enough veg in their diet that they don't absolutely destroy my plants.

Back
Top Bottom