grass over sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
So by the title of this thread you may be confused. I just had an idea would it be possible to have a moss of some sort to grow into the sand bed? I think that would be really cool looking. What do you guys think? If it would what are some mosses that can grow well under a normal hood, and some sun light that comes through the window.

Do java moss and attach it to a series of flat stones or slate and secure it with thread or fish line and be patient.

Do java moss and attach it to a series of flat stones or slate and secure it with thread or fish line and be patient.

I don't have a sand substrate in my current build, but was thinking of trying the same thing down the road sometime. I hope I am not hijacking by asking a clarifying question, but do you mean that he should use the stones/slate as permanent anchors under the java moss? I have never worked with java moss (or pretty much any live aquatic plant for that matter), can you get it in "sheets"? or does it come in clumps?

Haha not at all johny, I'm glad you getting to the questions I didn't think of. I pretty sure java moss comes in balls. I once read the ball is a coconut shell.

It comes in a small clump usually 1/2 cup or less. A pinch here and there go a long way. Yes, use slate or flat rock to anchor. It takes weeks for the moss to take hold. Once anchored you're all set.

It's slow growing, it takes some time to seed. Search You Tube, many great clips.

Back
Top Bottom