Grass type plants arent doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just put a bunch of plants into my 55 gal tank. I have 160 watts over the 55 gallons, regular gravel, and I use leaf zone fert. once a week.
Here are the plants that are doing good.
Water Wisteria, Red Rotala, Ludwiga repen. Pennywort. The grass plants such as Jungle grass, micro sword, Sagittaria's are not doing good. The blades of grass look like they have white lines/cracks in them. Almost like a cracked glass. Its hard to explain exactly what they look like.

The blades of grass look like they have white lines/cracks in them. Almost like a cracked glass. Its hard to explain exactly what they look like.

The microsword I cannot address, never worked for me. However, the Sag and/or Val all have the "white lines/cracks" in them. it is natural.

How long have they been in there?

Val/Sag takes a while to get established, and they don't like being moved much. they will stop growing untill their roots are well established, then take off. This takes a few weeks at least, or it has in my tanks.
HTH.

They have been in the tank since monday. They are looking very poor. Should I cut the rotting ends off or just leave them alone? Should I get some of the root tab fert to put near the roots to help them along. Some of the plants are doing very well. Thanks

Yes, cut off the rotting ends, and yes get some root tabs. You will still need to be patient for at least 2-3 weeks for them to get established.

How did they look in the lfs tanks?

If they had been shipped recently, and moved in tanks a lot, they may need even more that 2-3 weeks. Be patient though, they are great plants in the long run.

Let me know if the sags make it lawdawg. I had ordered sags for my planted tank; the other plants did and are doing awesome (and taking over the tank) but the sags just keeled over. I *think* it was the gouramis pulling it apart for their bubble nests, but I just can't be sure and want to see what you do and if it works. I really liked it, but dunno if I should try again.

Don't the vals tend to favor more alkaline or harder water. On the other hand, I know they can adapt... I have seen them growing nicely in the lfs Amazon discus tanks in 6.2 to 6.5 ph, but if you have soft water that could make them punt. (At least that was my experience so far as I have very soft water which I have to adjust abit. When I get a bigger tank "they will be back". :)

I had some micro sword and it just died off, I think something was eating it when we were not looking.

Back
Top Bottom