Graval/ Low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would normal run of the mill aquarium gravel work for plants or should I put in patches of the plant stuff in? I want to put some plants in my tank because my setup is kinda getting boaring. How should I set up my low light plants (15w for 20g tank= .75WPG) What kind of plants should I use?

with that low of light, you don't need fancy plant gravel.

at .75wpg, you're going to be limited to java fern, java moss, anubias bartari v. nana, and crypt's. hornwort might work too, but that's about it.

What do you think:

Back:
African fern
Anubias hastifolia

Middle:
Anubias barteri 'marble'
Java fern

Front:
Anubias nana
Cryptocoryne moehlmannii

It would help give you a larger selection of plants to pick, but remeber your going to need Co2 at high levels of light.

Oops I accidently posted twice somehow. More lightning means more maintence too. Since you have to keep up with the ferts and Co2, but essentially high levels of light help promote faster growth unless the plant is already a very slow grower, but some people have really good tanks that have low light. I saw some post that had some images in it and the person used low amounts light and the tank looked good. Oh btw I'm not sure if the more light is more maintence is true, I would think it is, but I'm not one of those people who has high levels of light for their tank. I'm more of a plant newb too, so you might want to get their opinion on this first and probably not listen to me XD

I've got a low light tank as well. I'm growing Java Fern, Cryptocorynes Wendtii & Undulata and Hornwort. The crypts I've planted in my pea gravel, regular gravel in other words, and my ferns are growing on rocks or bogwood. My hornwort is anchored with weights, either tied up gravel or lead weights, but they are not buried in the gravel. All are doing fine, slow growing but they are propogating.

And they are so much better than plastic plants, though I do have a couple of large silk plants still to fill out my tank. Plants can be just as much fun as the fish. Good luck with your tank!

Back
Top Bottom