Gravel size???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some gravel that is pretty big. Some of the bigger pieces are around and inch long, but the average looks like about half an inch. It is a darker tone than most standard gravel and I (my mom) really like the looks of it. The only problem, I want this tank to have lots of live plants. I could take some Caribsea Flora-max and put that in as the bottom layer, and have the other gravel as the top. The only problem with that is that if the Flora-max works its way up and shows through occasionally it would look horrible (It has a rich red color compared to a natural earth tone). My second thought was to take sand as the first layer, with the gravel on top. I would personally go with sand, but my mom says she likes the gravel and since this tank is where people see it easily, she says what goes. Thanks!

The stone size does sound way to big as a planting substrate so I would recommend something smaller below that layer (Eco complete). I personally think if the small starts to mix with the larger it would look more natural. Plants need something small, less than quarter inch, to be able to attach their roots into to hold in place.

Back
Top Bottom