Gravel Vaccing the Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, how do you guys keep your planted tanks clean? Do you gravel vac, and, if so, how do you get around the inevitable problem of uprooting plants?????

Or, do you leave much of the nutrients to the plants, and hope that a balance will be established between nutrient production and uptake?

(Obviously water changes etc...)

I vacume the tank, going carefully around the plants.

Only ones I have trouble with is some of the val's that seem to uproot even without help. The vacuming is part of my water change by the time I am done the python has sucked about 8 gals out which is about 25% of the tank.

Frankly, all you should be doing is vacuming unsightly areas. the rest of the fish waste is good for your plants, and will work its way into the substrate.

I change 50% each week, but only vacuum a few pockets where excessive gunk builds up.

Of course, also remove dead/dying leaves.

I feed my fish in one corner (using a feeding ring) so most of the waste foodwise ends up there. I don't plant in that area and use the gravel vac pretty much just there.

Did you make the feeding ring or purchase it? But my tank has a bit of current blowing around so any flakes are going to move around regardless.

Back
Top Bottom