Gray algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZCNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
The last month or so if been getting this algae all over my tank on the driftwood and plants any help would be appreciated to get rid of it

Attachments

• 1393104981486.jpg
    1393104981486.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 1393104996236.jpg
    1393104996236.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 173
Black brush algae. It grows because of an imbalance between ferts, light, and co2. The most effective way of eradicating it is to turn off your filters and light and then spot treat it with hydrogen peroxide. Leave the filters off for about 15 mins before turning everything back on again. I would also cut the light down to 6 hours daily until its under control.

What light fixture do you have?
How lo.g do you run your lights?
What ferts are you using?
What is your carbon source?

I use two t5s 10000k and 6700k I think it is I run them for 8 hours on timer I use Seachem Flourish and excel and also the home made root tabs I bought from a member here forgot the name but its what everyone uses

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also forgot to ask what size tank you have.

With those lights I would suggest at least 2x - 3x the excel dosage. Lastly, I would say skip the liquid fertilizers and invest in some dry ferts.

Oh and its a 72g bow tank

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With that size of tank, it may be more cost effective to order Metricide 14. The active ingredient is Glutaraldehyde which is the same as what you would find in Excel or API CO2 Booster.

I believe hydrogen peroxide is effective for spot treating BBA as well.

Black brush algae. It grows because of an imbalance between ferts, light, and co2. The most effective way of eradicating it is to turn off your filters and light and then spot treat it with hydrogen peroxide. Leave the filters off for about 15 mins before turning everything back on again. I would also cut the light down to 6 hours daily until its under control.

What light fixture do you have?
How lo.g do you run your lights?
What ferts are you using?
What is your carbon source?

I have the same problem but won't cutting down the light to 6 hours,
Cause light thriving plants in my tank (baby tears etc.) to wither?
Also, define spot treating exactly. And how much peroxide should be dosed?
I have a 60 gallon, with 15k overhead,
Fluval soil and use flourish liquid fertilizer.

Cutting lighting down to 6 hours will not hurt plants. In fact I run most all my planted tanks, especially my very high light tank for only 6 hours daily.

For spot treating you pull up 3ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% to every 1 gallon of water. Turn off filters, slowly squirt the algae. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot you'll have to spot treat an area daily. BBA will usually start turning white, pink, or red within 24 hours which means it dying off.

Up your CO2, and use a liquid carbon at a rate of 1ml for every 2 gallons of tank water (unless you have delicate shrimp) daily. Liquid carbons act as a mild algaecide and work well for using after peroxide treatments. Then only run lighting 6 hours until all BBA is gone.

You say you have a 15K overhead... what type fixture (T5HO or ?) and bulbs. Plants do best with 6000K to 10K bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom