green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkeye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have this really dark green algae on my plants in my 20 gal. None on the glass just on the plants. I cut some of it away on my java moss. Maybe I'm keeping my light on too many hrs, any other reasons for this to happen, and how do I get rid of it.

algae

Looking through that link you sent it looks like blue green algae. I have shrimp in the tank, I don't want to use anything that will harm them.

What is your nitrate level? A tank with very low nitrates is great for BGA because it can fix nitrogen from the atmosphere.

nitrite levels

I just checked both of my tanks, and the nitrites are low, so what does this mean?

Nitrites or nitrates are low? Nitrites should be zero on an established tank. If your nitrates are too low, which I'd kind of expect with a shrimp tank, it can create good conditions for BGA. You could try adding nitrogen to the tank with fertilizers. A mystery snail might also create enough waste to provide the nitrogen while not harming your shrimp.

fertilizer

I just added some flourish, do you think that will raise the nitrogen level?

It'll help. Try dosing for a while and see if you still have BGA problems. I had BGA issues in a tank with a lot of plants and few fish. It went away when the fish multiplied and the plants couldn't suck up all the nitrates.

If your nitrates are bottoming out then you could start dosing some nitrate. You can pick up dry ferts for cheap. They are much more economical in the long run, compared to Seachem's liquid ferts.

do a water change and gravel vac as much as possible out, dose nitrate and increase water circulation. now do a thee day blackout. dont peek. dont feed your fauna, they'll be fine. after 3 days remove the cover and do another watar change. voila! problem should be solved. now dont allow your nitrates to drop again.

if none of this works you can always use maracyn. bga isnt and algae, its a bacteria. maracyn is an antibiotic and will kill the bga but you have to follow the directions to a T. i definately recommend the natural way listed above

black algae???

i order some java moss n it came with some hairy stuff i believe its algae n it look black. the most also came with blackworm, took me hr to remove everything off the moss

Sounds like the dreaded black brush algae. I get it on my plants directly under the bulbs. Lower light or CO2 should take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom