Green algae along the edge of substate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on how to get rid of this line of green algae that's along the edge of my substrate ( eco-complete) and the glass. The rest of the tank is excellent, but right along the bottom edge is that green gunk. It goes into the substrate maybe a 1/2 inch deep. Can I just pull the substrate away from the glass and hit it with peroxide ?? It's really not doing any harm that I can tell, just unsightly is an otherwise crystal clean aquarium. It kind of draws you attention to it instead of everything else......... I could post a pic if needed.

Thanks,

Jim

The tank is in a spot that gets very little sunlight........and indirect at that........ Here's a picture of what it looks like...... My lighting cycle is 2 1/2 on, 3 off, 4 on.......... Finnex Ray2.....again the rest of the thank looks great..............it's just along the edge here........

Thanks !!!!
410099444.jpg
[/IMG]

This occurs to me as well! My corydoras easily get rid of the top-layer algae, but below it's unsightly as well.. I use a gravel-vac to get rid of it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This could be a blue-green algae. This is a weird algae that can sometimes be charged by a bacteria. I would syphon it all out, then make sure you have plenty of water circulating in the tank. And as always make sure you arent running your lights too long

It might be blue-green as mentioned above. I would push back the substrate and see how easily it comes off. If you can siphon it off it sounds like BG. If it needs to be scraped off, it is some type of green * algae. You could also try spot treating with peroxide to see how it reacts to that. You'll probably just end up with fizzing substrate.

Back
Top Bottom