Green algae spots the size of a pin-head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, this one has me baffled...and concerned. I have a 46g planted tank that has been established for about 2 months. Yesterday I finally started feeling good about the looks of this tank, and thought I could stop examining it like a lunatic all day long. Then tonight I noticed a huge number of these tiny little green "dots" on the glass. It's algae of some sort, but nothing like I've ever seen before. They are all no bigger than the size of a pin-head which wouldn't be a big deal except I can barely scratch these things off with my fingernail by reaching down into the tank! There are hundreds of them - which would take me hours to scratch them all off. The sponge does absolutely nothing to them.

WHAT THE HECK KIND OF ALGAE IS THIS? What might have caused it? And better yet, any suggestions how I might stop it from spreading? This could be a disaster if this propogates.

Green spot algae, and it is the scourge of every planted tank, pretty much. Algae eaters can't really handle it, because it is too hard.

This almost always limits itself to the glass, so usually scraping is just going to have to be part of the routine. Limit excess nutrients in the water, plant fast-growing stem plants to use up the available nutrients, and limit the light cycle are some ways to handle it - the same for any type of algae, basically. You can also help your plants snag more of the nutrients away from the algae by perfecting the art of fertilizer balance and CO2.

This was actually happy to see this type of algae. I was told this is a good sign. :?

So I scrape it off every 2 to 3 weeks, It only comes back very lightly.No harm done.

Waffleman

I'll have to agree with waffleman (even though pancakes are superior :wink: ).

Green Spot Algae is almost always a sign that you are doing things right. most times, if you have gsa, you don't have any of the nasty algaes. In my experience, after a month or 2 of heavy amounts of gsa, it slacks off and isn't so prevalent. Get a good algae scraper and don't worry too much. :!:

Get a magnavore algae cleaner you will love it it gets even the hard algae!!
I have some before and after pics on my hd that will amaze you.
One of my best sellers

magnavore_algea_cleaner_chart.jpg

I have one of those magnet cleaners with razors blade on it and it works great on the green spot algae.

heh, I wonder if I could talk my wife into using her unexpired card for that instead of trips to Hobby Lobby

Thanks for all the advice guys. My green spots won't budge until I scrub hard enough that I'm afraid I'll break the glass. I don't have any expired credit cards but I'm going to have to search for the magnetic razor blade scraper.

it's really hard to eliminate all algae in a planted tank. green spot is usually the one that hangs around.

Back
Top Bottom