Green dust algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a issue with GDA. I assume that's what it is, since if I rub it, it will "powder" into the water. It's growing on the glass at a fairly fast rate. I waited 2 weeks (hoping to live out the life-cycle) and it pretty much died and I wiped it off. A week later, it's back again. I would add snails, but my yoyo loaches make it difficult for them to get any work done (though the don't bother the nerites). I'm working on getting them out using a 2L bottle and snails as bait, but it's only working to catch my striated botia so far. It's a start at least.

As of 12/10:
pH 6.8
kh 5.5
iron 1.0
nitrite 10
phos 1.0

I typically add 1/2 tsp CSM+B and 1/2 tsp K2SO4 to the tank 2x/week.
KNO3 dosed to get 20ppm. Fleets added for phos, though I only added it once and that was 12 ml on 10/29. I have pressurized CO2 at about 3-4 bps, 390wt CF lighting, 120gal (4ft x 2ft x 2ft) tank.

Any ideas?

Low CO2 or Low Phosphates....

I had the same in my 29G, and had asked Tom Barr about it, and that's the answer he gave me. Since I have my CO2 levels up, that left Phosphates (even though the test kit said over 1ppm). So I tested the theory this week. Last weekend, I thoroughly cleaned the tank and some plant leaves, and did my PWC. Then I dosed my regular dosings, but upped my Phosphate dosing. I'm now going on day 5 (tomorrow), and not a spot of green algae yet, and usually at this time I would be seeing it start on the glass. But my glass is clean. I increased my phosphate dosing in my 29G by 1/16tsp KH2PO4. I think it did the trick, crossing my fingers. All other dosings have not changed, and neither has the CO2 levels.

Now that you mention it, that makes sense. I've not seen GDA until recently, and just recently have phos levels gotten so low.

I followed the info here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=80770

I dosed the fleets previously. Prior to fleets, my phos was 0.5ppm. I added 12ml, and it went to 5.0ppm (that's as high was my test goes). According to the calculation, it should have went to about 3.25ppm. So I wonder if the conversion is a little off...

Regardless, I added 7.5ml fleets tonight. We'll see what that turns to tomorrow.

Approx. 2ppm, but I know it's not correct as when I start getting green algae on the glass, it still registers at least 1ppm. Phosphate test kits are notorious for being incorrect, unless you properly calibrate it first, which I don't do. I also dose EI, so it's not often I test anymore. I just go by plant growth, algae, and fish. And do a 50%-60% PWC weekly to reset everything.

And for dosing, I went from 1/16tsp KH2PO4 to 1/8tsp, 3x weekly. Tank is very heavily planted.

my 75 really tears through phosphates, and when I get lazy i have lots of green algae on the glass that wipes off pretty easily.

my CO2 stays about 35ppm, so I bet its your 1ppm of PO4. what brand test kit are you using? if its not a LaMotte, you can't be 100% that the 1ppm is real accurate. I think SeaChem's is a good 'cheap' kit, but it still is only good to maybe +/- .25ppm and that's if you can match the color chart.

just dose a little more than what you were dosing, and see if the dust doesn't come back so quickly...if at all.

I dosed about 7ml of fleets in the tank on 12/22. I cleaned the glass off 12/23, knowing I would be out of town until today, and using that as a guide to tell if the GDA was coming back. I return and find no new growth (or very minimal). Sounds like I was phos-limited.

Back
Top Bottom