Green Hygro question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
My green hygro, which I bought as a supplemental algae buster, seems to be growing fairly well. However, it seems to grow more laterally and bushy instead of upright as the young cuttings were that I had purchased.

Now I have a lot of light on this 26 gallon bow... one 55 watt AHSupply bright kit usually in tandem with a 65 watt Coralife PC. The Hygro's new growth is quite tan-yellow/brown. I'm guessing the tan color is from the high light and perhaps that is also why the plant is growing so laterally.

Does anyone have any experience using this as a ground cover, or does this sound like a nutritional deficiency? My Lysimachia (Creeping Jenny) is growing upright nicely and likes the extra light for sure, as does the Java Fern and Wisteria.

Just a guess, but I found my hygro did something similar. My guess is the tanks they were in prior to coming to our tanks did not have enough light in them. Consequently they grew tall to reach the light. Once there is enough light they need to grow up is lessened and they grow out instead.

the taller they get, the more sideways they'll grow. I usually clip the tops off and replant those to promote more vertical growth.

Back
Top Bottom