Green Thread Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have any experience ridding this algae? Have little starting here and there and it's just becoming eye sore. 125G running 4-T5HO on siesta period totaling 6-7 hrs, pps pro dosing ferts, phosphorus reading around 1 max and trates at about 10 ppm. Not sure if I need to increase lighting; add another fixture or duration. Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does siesta period mean time you have the lights off?

If your lamps are off for 6-7 hours per day and are on for 17-18 hours per day, then I would recommend reducing the period that you have the lamps lit. Algae needs light to grow and 17 hours of on-time is at least 5 hours more than is typical.

Thanks for the reply. My lights are on for approx. 6-7 hrs total.

Are you running CO2? 4xT5HO is a lot of light if you're not. Regardless, my first move would be to go down to 2xT5HO after physically/chemically removing all the algae you can and increase CO2 if you're doing that. Alternatively, you can consider adding Excel into your fertilization even if you are dosing CO2.

Yep running co2. My kh is about 5° so that puts me about 6.7 on pH (run pH controller). I dropped it down to 6.6. I figured running 2-36" fixtures would be ok. Too much you think?

Wait, this is 2x2 T5HO? Rather than 4x1? Arranged in series rather than parallel?

What's your drop checker telling you?

Yes my lights are just 2x2; tank is 6 ft long so they are side by side. Do you think my lighting is low - need more?

Drop checker is green; but color variation is hard to tell. I bumped up my co2 for this reason cuz I feel their is a slight blue color peeking through.

Can you post a picture? 'Green thread algae' can mean a lot of different things to different people.

But to answer your question, I don't think 2xT5HO (ie, two bulbs the length of the tank) is going to be causing algae by itself, especially with CO2. I would definitely not increase your light until you have this under control though, as that's just going to be adding fuel to the proverbial fire.

Lets get some more details. Where is this algae growing? How long has it been there? How much circulation do you have in the tank? How often do you clean it and how do you clean it? Have you tried anything so far?

What are your phosphates at? Seems 4 ppm can be the sweet spot in knocking out some types of green algae. This is according to another member with extensive research in the field;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The algae primarily has started on the DW, but is also present amongst the dwarf sag. I just did a cleaning the other day so most is gone. I perform about a 50% every 2 weeks (wish it were more but difficult with work and kids). I run 2 canister filters and no other water circulation, I've found my angels don't care for it. My phosphate level is around 1 max. The algae grows slow and isn't covering the tank, but can spread when I'm negligent. I'm gonna try to keep up with it by performing more water changes. Hope this info helps.

Attachments

• 1403047289754.jpg
    1403047289754.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 1403047307055.jpg
    1403047307055.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom