green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so ever since I got my new fixture, t5ho Nova extreme 48 watts, the only thing that seems to be growing is algae. My plants seem to be dying and I leave the lights on for 8 hours to help clear up the water. Any help to clear up the green water and why my plants don't seem to be doing good?:( I have Java moss, Amazon swords, water wisteria, anubias, and a marimo moss ball, I think That's what its called.

Are you dosing any kind of fertilizer?

What kind of substrate are you using?

How long has the tank been established?

What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, pH)?

How long were you lighting the tank before you *reduced* it to 8 hrs?

Answers to these questions may help further identification of what the exact cause is... but for now I would reduce the lighting to 0 for about 4 days... then go to 6-8 hrs per day after that.

im using seachem flourish liquid fert, substrate is just plain gravel and my water parameters are fine and i think i had em on for 12 hours or 10 to keep my swords alive and other plants

no need to light the tank for that long, especially with those plants. I also doubt you will need much flourish (is it comprehensive, or micro?). The one thing I would recommend is root tabs under the swords.

I would go with lights out for the next 4 days, and do a few massive water changes.

okay, sorry im still learning ha and i think its comprehensive but thats just for the other plants , im using jungle root tabs but they dont seem to be benefiting from em or idk whats wrong:/ and would the lights off for four days kill my plants?

No, it will not kill the plants. If the algae bloom continues it could.

I agree with fort, I'd just keep the lights off long enough to knock out the green water algae bloom. Do daily 40-50% water changes and it should be gone in no time, but it will come right back if you don't adjust accordingly. I think your photoperiod is the first thing to cut back on and see how it goes from there.

okay thank you, i will do that. and question about my lighting, is it good enough for the plants i have?

Back
Top Bottom