green water and reddish green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my water is tinted green and I have reddish brown algae. I tried a large water change and lessening the lighting. What else do I need to do? This is in my peacock gudgeon tank and they are starting to spawn so I have to be careful. Yes this is a newer tank. I don't have water parameters handy but can test tomorrow if need be for help. Its 55 gallons and gets a little natural light. My current light is a zoomed dual T5 HO 48in light. I left the lights off most of the day today and had them off all day yesterday.

:thanks:

Could a UV sterilizer be in the cards for you? That is by far the best way to get rid of green water. As far as the reddish stuff, could it be diatoms? Is this a new-ish tank?

Yes indeed it is a newish tank. I also am using liquid ferts. Could I be dosing too high for the plants that I have? I mean until they grow out?

The cause of the green water is difficult to pin down, although the leading theory seems to be a combination of excess light and ammonia, if only briefly. Unfortunately, once it takes root in a tank, it's very difficult to get rid of, especially in a delicate environment like you have.

Can you get a picture of the red stuff? Does it wipe off easily? Diatoms are a reddish-broth type of algae that is exceedingly common in new tanks, and usually runs a limited course before pittering out on its own.

I don't think your fertilizers are causing problems. Generally speaking, it's difficult to cause an algae problem with over-fertilizing despite what some believe, especially with a micronutrient solution like you're probably using (eg, Flourish).

I got some decent pics of it but I am not on my own computer so I will try to post the pics tomorrow. After looking up diatoms I think that is part of what's going on. Thanks for all the help!

I just splurged and ordered this. I sure hope it helps and I get my pretty and clear tank back!

:thanks:

Just within the past couple weeks 2 or 3 people have used them and got their tanks all cleared up with them.

I sure hope it helps because I can't stand this green water. Its my fav tank and fish and its just gets greener daily. The Green Killing Machine is the best priced UV sterilizer I could find when comparing. Aquatop makes one similar in price but I am just not sure I trust them. I don't like their heaters. When I was in hobby before I usually only had 2 or 3 tanks but now at 15 I am having all sorts of problems I have never dealt with. I appreciate all the help!!

Back
Top Bottom