Green water in established tank - what worked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfwilson54

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is related to an earlier thread,
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=101087&highlight=
but I'll post it separately so its easier to find.

I had green water, three times this summer, first two resolved with 3-day blackouts, but it came back. The third time I cleared it up using advice received here:

1. I did 50%/30%/30% water changes and filter cleaning on consecutive days, to reduce excess nutrients that may have built up from fish, feeding, etc. I did these water changes without vacuuming, to not stir up more nutrients. Of course, the aquarium looked a lot better from simply diluting the green water.

2. I upped the ferts and CO2 to encourage plant growth, and did not prune. I also cut back feeding a lot.

The green water totally cleared up in about a week with this approach, without a blackout.

Setup: heavily planted and populated 29-gal with DIY CO2.

Which makes total sense since GW is caused by excess light/ammonia. Reduce one or the other and the problem should go away (pending you also have adequate ferts/CO2). By reducing the feedings you cut down on the total amount of ammonia being produced, and by doing the large water changes, you removed the DOC's and quite a bit of nitrAte. By doing both this and upping the CO2/ferts, you put your tank back to where everyone's tanks should be, that is where LIGHT is the limiting factor in the tank.

Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom