Greg Watson Ferts and hydroponics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on converting a few of my house plants (ficus and dracaena) to hydroponics. Well, actually to hydroculture, also called passive hydroponics, where the roots are placed in an inert medium and water is placed at the bottom. Once the plant takes in all of the water, along with the fertilizers, you just add more. Basically, you just have to water a few times a month depending on the size of the water reservoir and the size of the plant.

I know that this forum is for aquatic plants, but you guys know about the Greg Watson ferts. First of all, can it be done? Second, does anyone have any suggestions as to the amounts for the three macro nutrients. As for the micro nutrients, would adding them with the macros make the iron useless? In my fish tanks, I apply the macros every other day, and the micros on the opposing days. Like I said earlier, I would only have to water my plants only a few times a month; I want to fertilize only when I have to water.

Yes, hydroculture will work for house plants (did it with forced bulbs).

I don't think the micro & macro would interfere with each other. My hydroponics fert mix has everything mixed together. The traces are chelated so I don't think it would matter.

Amount to add? I can tell you what my hydroponics fert label recommended, but I would have no personal experience with the needs of various plants (you don't need ferts for forced bulbs. :) )

The ferts I used recommends for house plants:
3 ppm Fe (& the associated traces - in CSM+B proportion)
90 ppm N
60 ppm P
150 ppm K
in your water (initial concentration & in top up water)

Double the amount for veggies.

Just like EI, you are to completely dump out all water & use a new water/fert mix every 2-3 months to prevent any build up or deficiency.

Thanks for the advice. I think that I'll start out somewhat small in the amount of ferts, then eventually add more. I have a few trimmings from my ficus that I can use to experiment with.

Back
Top Bottom