Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Your CSM+B calc is a little off, but not terribly so. The rest of the calcs look good.

Your once a week dosing plan assumes low plant uptake. Before ignoring the advice in this thread, you should look at other tanks with similar lighting on the forum.

Good luck.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't wish me good luck just tell me what I should do. To be honest I think this is going to work the best. The more I read about how different people do things the more confused I get. I think just doing it how it is known to work and then once I learn how to do it will help me more than experimenting.

Will you just let me know how you do it so I can try it? And then if I get comfortable, I can tweek it when I learn a little more about what I am doing.

This will not be a low uptake tank, I don't think so anyway. I want fast plant growth and healthy plants. Not ones that just sit there like my java fern.

What is the proper calculations for the CSM+B?

Old 03-19-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Will you just let me know how you do it so I can try it? And then if I get comfortable, I can tweek it when I learn a little more about what I am doing.
I EI, so again, if you did your dosing plan three times a week (CSM+B on days you don't dose KH2PO4) with a 50% pwc, you're effectively following EI. Try it for two weeks with CO2 and high light and watch growth. I understand you do not want to think about it, but you can dose by Malkore's method, just do it more than once a week under high light. Medium light or lower has a higher margin for error, and is better for once a week dosing.

As stated above, if you add 1tsp of CSM+B into 100mL of water, each 1.25mL dose will add .1ppm Fe to 10gals. 1/4tsp is about 1.25mL.

Assuming 1TBL of CSM+B is 13.6g per MatPat's trials, and so 1tsp is 4.53g.

Mix:
mg CSM+B * (.0653mg Fe/mg CSM+B)/mL water = mg Fe/mL trace mix

4530 * .0653 / 100 = 2.96 mg Fe/mL trace mix

Dose:
(target ppm * tank gal * 3.77L/gal)/(mg Fe/mL trace mix) = mL dose to reach target ppm

.1 * 10 * 3.77 / 2.96 = 1.27mL dose

(1.25mL dose, or 1/4tsp of solution, will add .098ppm Fe)

If you want to solve for how much ppm per mL dose:
(mL dose * mg Fe/mL trace mix) / (tank gal * 3.77L/gal) = Fe ppm

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well wish me luck now because they got here today and I will start them tonight after my 50% water change.

Thanks for all the help everyone and I will return the favor with good records and good sample data.

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com