Ground cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

formanbob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for some ground cover for my 90,,

I have 2 96w PC and 2 35w NO ,,, what are the options and if I need more lite that is fine.

hey man i am looking for the same thing for a 30gal and have found alot of beautiful tanks that use either java moss, x-mas moss (found it by lots of names but lots of info by that name through google) and lots of micro swords. others will be able to gove more info but i am still looking.

-Jim

formanbob - If you're running that much wattage over a 90G you should be able to grow just about any kind of ground cover you want as long as you also have CO2 - and with that much wattage I would hope that you do or it will be tricky keeping the algae away :wink:

depending on how tall your 90 is, glosso might be a good choice, if you have the CO2 to maintain it.

travis simonson said:
formanbob - If you're running that much wattage over a 90G you should be able to grow just about any kind of ground cover you want as long as you also have CO2 - and with that much wattage I would hope that you do or it will be tricky keeping the algae away :wink:
ok good,

now what is a good range of light for a planted tank...

If by 'range' you mean color temperature (aka Kelvin rating), anything between 5000K and 10000K will work just fine. The lower color temps tend to be yellow turning whiter as they near 10000K. 6700K and 10000K are two very common CF color temps and are usually priced affordably.

wattage depends on what you wanna keep, if you CO2 inject, and how much maintenance you want (fertilizing and pruning)
3wpg of power compacts will grow pretty much everything, no reason to go over 3.5wpg unless you have a very tall tank.

malkore said:
wattage depends on what you wanna keep, if you CO2 inject, and how much maintenance you want (fertilizing and pruning)
3wpg of power compacts will grow pretty much everything, no reason to go over 3.5wpg unless you have a very tall tank.

Ok so I have about 2.9wpg, and it is a standard size tank(not tall) so all i need is to get some co2?

Anyone know of some good cheep co2?

Thanks

With a 90G tank you'll want to go with pressurized CO2. I know both www.aquatic-store.com and www.aquariumplants.com carry good CO2 equipment. I got mine at Aquatic Store for an excellent price and have had no problems at all with it. You can get a 5 or 10 lb CO2 tank at a local welding supply shop for around $60-80 with refills being only $10-15.

ON this ,
sq%20ft%20micro%20swd.jpg
how would you (plant) this ...

http://aquariumplant.com/cgi-bin/cart/mi087.html

That looks familiar :) Lilaeopsis right? I would decide where you want it to go and cut it to fit. You won't hurt it by cutting it into smaller pieces if you need to, just try to be gentle with it. It will float right to the surface if it isn't weighted down. I sprinkled mine with substrate until it stayed down, used a few large rocks to hold it where it wouldn't stay down and, after a week or so, it had taken root and I took the large rocks off of it.

Back
Top Bottom