Growing dhg emersed help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 5 small pots of dwarf hairgrass a month ago for a forground plant in my 75 gallon tank. It is spreading but slowly. I thought I would try to grow some emmersed to increase the amount I have. I understand after it grown if I put it in the aquarium the old will die off but I figured I'd experiment with a bit of it to see how it goes. My aquarium was made in 1990 so I have the huge glass brace that is 6 inches wide that I intentionally put low light plants underneath because light won't pass through it very well. I put potting soil in 2 small plastic containers and filled them with water til the soil was saturated with water. Then I planted the dhg and wrapped the tops of the container with plastic wrap and placed them on the brace underneath my aquaticlife dual t5ho. My question is will this light suffice and did I do everything correctly?

image-547197540.jpg

That looks about right and should be more than enough light. My DHG grows well in dirt, submersed.

Depends on the health of the plants, but days to weeks. I generally would just spray regularly and top off/drain the water if necessary.

It doesn't have to be airtight, at first you want full humidity but you can loosen up the cover gradually more and more over a few weeks. I have some that has no cover on it at all, but it is pretty humid here.

I would be concerned with it getting too hot if its sitting right under lights like that, but if it's not browning then you are good.

It doesn't have to be airtight, at first you want full humidity but you can loosen up the cover gradually more and more over a few weeks. I have some that has no cover on it at all, but it is pretty humid here.

I would be concerned with it getting too hot if its sitting right under lights like that, but if it's not browning then you are good.

I decided to use a t5no dual fixture I had lying around instead the temp is usually 85 during the day and 78 at night

Back
Top Bottom