Growing Dwarf Sag and Vals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wanting my sag to spread and it just isn't? I have approx 10 in each bunch, each plant about 1"-2" apart. Is this too far?

Have vals that just aren't growing; not dying either? They're known to be easy and quick growers, but mine are just "there" Any thoughts?

Running T-5 HO lighting, dose EI Ferts package (GLA) and have CO2 set at 6.4pH.

Thanks! :confused:

Wanting my sag to spread and it just isn't? I have approx 10 in each bunch, each plant about 1"-2" apart. Is this too far?

Have vals that just aren't growing; not dying either? They're known to be easy and quick growers, but mine are just "there" Any thoughts?

Running T-5 HO lighting, dose EI Ferts package (GLA) and have CO2 set at 6.4pH.

Thanks! :confused:

Noticing that you have a low ph. Which probably means you have soft water. Vals will struggle to grow in soft water and lower ph's. Will normally thrive in hard water.

What confuses me is Vals are known (on paper) to be pretty hardy and easy to grow in pH ranges of 5-8. At 6.4 I should be OK, right? Neither plants are dying just staying green. Dwarf sag was planted about 2-3 months ago and my Vals even longer. Just don't get it??

What confuses me is Vals are known (on paper) to be pretty hardy and easy to grow in pH ranges of 5-8. At 6.4 I should be OK, right? Neither plants are dying just staying green. Dwarf sag was planted about 2-3 months ago and my Vals even longer. Just don't get it??

What is the hardness of your water though? Sometimes some plants that you think you should be able to grow in your tank just won't grow and vice versa with ones you think you wouldn't be able to.

Try giving them some root tabs also as they are root feeders.

I'll do a check on my parameters later when I get home. I'm reading a lot about tabs and finer gravel works better too. Your right about some plants grow better when you wouldn't think they would. Its the "easy" plants I can't seem to grow, go figure!

Have you not had them long? Dwarf sag take a little while to get going when you first get it, but it's nothing short of a pest once it gets some momentum, especially in a CO2 tank with good lights. I wouldn't worry about it for several weeks at least.

Have you not had them long? Dwarf sag take a little while to get going when you first get it, but it's nothing short of a pest once it gets some momentum, especially in a CO2 tank with good lights. I wouldn't worry about it for several weeks at least.

Dwarf sag grows well in low light with no co2 as well correct?

When I had Vals I planted them pretty close together and they took 3 or 4 months at least to finally decide to start growing and sending out runners. I never thought they'd take off but finally they did and then there was no stopping them. I grew mine in Eco Complete. I had Dwarf Sag and it was a weed and removed it. I think you just need to give them time but do move the Vals close together so they look good now. Plus once you start getting runners you can plant them where you want to keep increasing the group.

My dwarf sag also took about 2 months to start making runners. I have it in flora max substrate which is essentially the same as Eco complete, and hard water with pH of about 7.6

Back
Top Bottom