Growing? Dying? Adjusting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
Hi,

I'm very new to live plants so I'm not sure what it is I'm seeing and thought I'd ask.

I have a low-light, low-tech setup: 29 gal tall freshwater, using the standard florescent light (T8 bulb, only 17 watt, 8000k) that is on about 9-10 hours per day (on a timer: 4-4.5 hours on, 4 off, 5-6 on, off overnight). My nitrates only get to about 5 between water changes (change 6-8 gals twice per week). I do add about a 1/4 cap of Flourish with each water change. I tried the T5 lights but I have light issues with my eyes and I kept getting headaches with the T5 lights so had to revert back to the standard florescent. No CO2 and I don't want to use it.

I have low-light plants: Anubias Bartieri, Anubias Congensis, Anachris, Java Moss, Java Fern and Hornwort.

The Bartieri and Congensis have been in the tank for at least a month now and they seem to be doing fine. The Congensis has some reddish brown growth on the stems but not sure if it was that way when I got it and not sure whether it's normal (pic below); the leaves themselves look fine (they are a darker green than in the picture and look healthy).

The Java Fern seems like it's doing well too; only one leaf is brown; other leaves were brown before and I did some trimming but now most of the leaves are green and they might even be growing (pic below just to double-check).

I'm concerned about the Hornwort, Anachris Java Moss. I've had the Hornwort in the tank for probably at least a month now. Can't tell whether it's growing. It was a nice green color when I got it, but now it's fading to a light-green/brown color (pics below). Is it dying? Growing? Adjusting? I've trimmed some of the more brownish pieces off but it seems like it just keeps fading. I've heard it can grow in pretty much almost no light so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The Java Moss is fairly new, got it about 2 weeks ago. As you can see from the pic below it's growing fuzzy. Is it dying? Growing? Algae? Adjusting? As I said I'm new to this so I have no idea what it is I'm looking at (pic below). It wasn't like this when I got it.

The Anachris is new as well, about 2 weeks. When I got the plant it looked healthy, "leaves" open, a nice green color. Now some of it is browning and curling (pic below). Is it adjusting? Dying?

If they are dying what can I do to remedy this? Should I use Excel as well (concerned about algae growth due to the low light though)? Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• anachris.jpg
    anachris.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
  • congensis.jpg
    congensis.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 80
  • horwort.jpg
    horwort.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 81
  • hornwort2.jpg
    hornwort2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
More pictures below (Java Fern and Java Moss).....

Attachments

• javafern.jpg
    javafern.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 80
  • javamoss.jpg
    javamoss.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 76
I am having the same problem with my hornwort so I'm interested in why this is happening also. ;)

My hornwort "melted" all over my tank. The top kept growing and was green. But the bottom kept falling apart. So I had to take it out.

My Anachris did the same in one tank, but grows very well in another. Very little differences in water parameters. Both medium lighting, but the failed tank is about 14" further from the light.
Sensitive to salt treatments too.

Back
Top Bottom