growing Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatica17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 1,100 gallon "tropical fish pond" on my back porch in Costa Rica. All of my plants are doing great, except my Java Fern. My Ph is 7.2. I have river silt areas, wood areas and rock areas. I have the Java Fern in all of these areas, but they just barely exist. I would appreciate any help on making them happy so that they will multiply. I had to sneak my starts into the country.:thanks:

Hi. Have you planted the fern, because they don't like the main stem planted. They do best tied onto rock or bog wood with fishing line (almost invisible under water). I let any small plantlets drift around and find their own place to live. Usually the water flow traps them against another plant or rock and they put down roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Java Fern

All of my plants are tied with line to either wood or rock. All of the plants are atlest 3" above the silt bed. I have yet to have them produce any plantlets.

Hi. I initially planted my Java Fern and the leaves all died. However, plantlets grew from the tips of the dying leaves. These I either tied to rock etc or just let them drift. Maybe you could try just planting one of your ferns to see if this happens to yours.

Hi. I initially planted my Java Fern and the leaves all died. However, plantlets grew from the tips of the dying leaves. These I either tied to rock etc or just let them drift. Maybe you could try just planting one of your ferns to see if this happens to yours.

This worked for me as well in my 65g hex. I then found that if I took a leaf that looked like it was dying but growing leaves on the end and I covered the edges of the leaf with the roots of the plantlets just above the substrate I got a beautiful row of ferns across the back wall. Hope this helps

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Java fern multiplies only by having sprouts growing on the ends of the old/dying leaves.
Has the plant grown any bit? If not it could be lacking nutrients. Do you have any fish or livestock in the pond?

Java Fern

I have a large assortment of small tropical fish in my "tank". The tank was set up in April, 2013. I am using fertilizer tabs and the rest of the plants are healthy and thriving. One suggestion was for me to add potassium sulfate. I need to be sure that it will not harm my fish before I do so. I also just moved some of the plants to partially under my Java moss which is very healthy.

Thanks for the help.

There are plenty of aquatic fertilizers on the market made specifically for home aquarium. I love the seachem and aquavitro lines, both of which have excellent dosing details. How recently was the last time you added tablet ferts?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom