Growing out algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikezilla89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have what I believe is some type of green hair algae that I snagged off of a piece of wood it covered at the pet store I work at. I wanna do the same to the piece of wood in my tank. Right now it's chillin in a fish bag, what I'm wondering is what the best way would be to grow it out a little before putting it in the tank and attaching it to the wood. Unfortunately I don't have a spare tank at my disposal :(
Also if someone could tell me if it is in fact green hair algae, and if it isn't if it could be properly identified.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image-980636132.jpg
    image-980636132.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 112
It looks like BBA, not hair algae. I doesn't look very green.

One of my LFSs usually has a few tanks with either a piece of wood or a sponge filter completely covered in BBA. I understand the attraction, but if you intend to put live plants in the tank, adding a huge wad of BBA would be a mistake.

I'm not sure there's an easy way to attach that to anything.

I was thinking fishing line or shoving it in a tight corner of the wood. It may not look it, but it's actually very green, but a very dark green

I'm one of the odd ones, I love having BBA on my DW and rocks. I think it adds some realism to the tank. All my tanks are planted and have BBA. I just keep the plant leaves clean by brushing them when I do my routine cleanings. If for some reason I can't (usually it's because my back is acting up and I can only do minimal cleaning) I will trim the leaves if they are over grown. Or, depending, I'll let some leaves grow BBA. It really depends on what I'm going for.

Tucking it into a hole or nook on the wood will work fine. Just remember it can grow like crazy so be diligent on maintaining the look you want.

I have some on my driftwood that has been dried for 12 weeks now. The wood is now in a tank and its still on there.

Back
Top Bottom