Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Growing plants on wood

Does anyone have any advice for making plants spread across driftwood, it seems that they usually grow up instead of out for me.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graucow View Post
Does anyone have any advice for making plants spread across driftwood, it seems that they usually grow up instead of out for me.
Can be many reasons to cause that.

One could be low light causing plants to "stretch" towards any available light.

Which light do you have over what sized tank? (size + dimensions).

Another could be your plant selection. Some mosses do not grow horizontal, rather they grow vertical. A few examples of this are Flame moss and Amblystegium serpens.

Other plants commonly attached to wood that would grow tall are larger anubias, java fern and bolbitus variants.

Smaller variants of anubias, java fern and bolbitus should grow horizontally, across wood. Buce can as well.

I would recommend Christmas moss, java moss, anubias nana "petite" java fern windelov and some smaller Buce species.

Goodluck.

Also, any pictures of the plants that are not growing how you want them to?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post

Another could be your plant selection. Some mosses do not grow horizontal, rather they grow vertical. A few examples of this are Flame moss and Amblystegium serpens.

Other plants commonly attached to wood that would grow tall are larger anubias, java fern and bolbitus variants.

Smaller variants of anubias, java fern and bolbitus should grow horizontally, across wood. Buce can as well.

I would recommend Christmas moss, java moss, anubias nana "petite" java fern windelov and some smaller Buce species.

Goodluck.

I am attempting to grow java fern on wood, both normal and narrow leaf java fern. The narrow leaf is in a standard 75 gallon tank while the normal java fern is in a 20 high tank. I am not sure on the brand of the lights and I am unable to check as I am away from the tanks for the summer. The 75 has a blue white led and the 20 has a RGBW led. The normal java fern has spread a little bit across the log it's on but is growing very slowly and seems it will take a long time before it could ever cover a large portion of the log. The narrow leaf is just growing upwards.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post

Goodluck.

The narrow leaf is attached to the log with lots of shoot offs, the regular one is in the other picture spread across some small drift wood, the floating portion was attached to the wood but it recently detached. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180620-161958_Messages.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	309370Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180620-161945_Messages.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	309371
Old 06-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For java fern we are limited to the direction the rhizome is growing.

Look for new growth coming out of the rhizome and direct it in the direction across the wood you wish for it to grow.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant, plants, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com