Growing plants outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garden shops often carry solar powered pumps and fountains. Not really powerful but they create water movement. That might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Garden shops often carry solar powered pumps and fountains. Not really powerful but they create water movement. That might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thank u!! That's a really good suggestion. I'll look into it

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Don't dose an outside tank unless you are trying to grow algae. Stick with dirt and root tabs if you can.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why would I need root tabs when I have dirt??? Isn't the whole point of dirt to give the roots nutrients

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Don't dose an outside tank unless you are trying to grow algae. Stick with dirt and root tabs if you can.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
With the main goal being to grow plants rather than being a display tank why would adding nutrients be unadvisable?

Wouldnt the algae work the same way as it does in our tanks with the plants needing carbon and nutrients to keep the algae from growing on them?
Why would I need root tabs when I have dirt??? Isn't the whole point of dirt to give the roots nutrients

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I don't need to add root tabs do i?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Yes you do. The dirt only holds soo much nutrients and will need to be supplemented beyond that. I usually give it about a month after I start a dirted tank to add root tabs.

In fact, as soon as I have time I am going to be undirting my tanks because I just don't see enough benefit from using dirt. My plants were growing amazingly well without dirt and I fail to really see a difference.

Yes you do. The dirt only holds soo much nutrients and will need to be supplemented beyond that. I usually give it about a month after I start a dirted tank to add root tabs.

In fact, as soon as I have time I am going to be undirting my tanks because I just don't see enough benefit from using dirt. My plants were growing amazingly well without dirt and I fail to really see a difference.

Wow I didn't know that..
If you have ever watched dustins fish tanks, he always uses dirt and never uses root tabs but his plants are amazing

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Wow I didn't know that..
If you have ever watched dustins fish tanks, he always uses dirt and never uses root tabs but his plants are amazing

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

The success of a planted tank is more about how much effort you're willing to put into it rather than what you have in it. With frequent pruning, a lot of attention, and the proper selection of plants anyone can have a beautiful planted tank. However, if you aren't willing to put the work into it, all the dirted substrate in the world won't help you.

Case in point:

My undirted low tech tank with black diamond blasting sand originally before I started nursing school:

HVKc5E7.jpg

My high tech dirted tank after I started nursing school:

fVIcoxx.jpg

School killed the amount of time I was able to devote to my tanks. But hopefully after next week I should be done with nursing school assuming I pass my exams :D

The success of a planted tank is more about how much effort you're willing to put into it rather than what you have in it. With frequent pruning, a lot of attention, and the proper selection of plants anyone can have a beautiful planted tank. However, if you aren't willing to put the work into it, all the dirted substrate in the world won't help you.

Case in point:

My undirted low tech tank with black diamond blasting sand originally before I started nursing school:

HVKc5E7.jpg

My high tech dirted tank after I started nursing school:

fVIcoxx.jpg

School killed the amount of time I was able to devote to my tanks. But hopefully after next week I should be done with nursing school assuming I pass my exams :D

Well good luck on your exams!!!! Did u dose anything in your low tech tank??? High lights?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Well good luck on your exams!!!! Did u dose anything in your low tech tank??? High lights?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_
Pps pro ferts and 15ml of metricide 14 daily in a 55g tank. It was medium light, that picture was about 2 weeks after I moved it up to high light.

Thanks for the well wishes! :)

Pps pro ferts and 15ml of metricide 14 daily in a 55g tank. It was medium light, that picture was about 2 weeks after I moved it up to high light.

Ok sounds like u had it going!!!! Here's a FTS of the Display Tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430091917.969241.jpg

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Very nice looking! Looks like your tank is going pretty well.

Since your here I have a couple other questions.....

1. Does my sword look ok? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430092549.614272.jpg

2. I also planted 6 bulbs... 1 green water lily, 4 apongenton ulvaceus, and 1 onion plant.. I planted the bulbs 3/4 in the substrate ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430092742.561413.jpg

3. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430092867.224715.jpg does this need to be broken?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Wow I didn't know that..

Rockyofhockey _/.\_
Because dirt doesn't always do 'everything', it also has a limited amount of nutrients so it can end up needing some help along the way. And when it comes to youtube vids and sales people, trust me, they can have a way of making things look a lot better than they may really be.

As far as my comment about not fert dosing an outside tank, I say that because the PAR value of the sun is insane, think about 10 times that of the average high tech tank. Because of that, fert dosing the column usually causes more problems than it solves. I grow plants submersed outside, I use co2 and potting soil.

Attachments

• 1411344624055.jpg
    1411344624055.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 1411439184741 (1).jpg
    1411439184741 (1).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1411439230034.jpg
    1411439230034.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 47
Because dirt doesn't always do 'everything', it also has a limited amount of nutrients so it can end up needing some help along the way. And when it comes to youtube vids and sales people, trust me, they can have a way of making things look a lot better than they may really be.

As far as my comment about not fert dosing an outside tank, I say that because the PAR value of the sun is insane, think about 10 times that of the average high tech tank. Because of that, fert dosing the column usually causes more problems than it solves. I grow plants submersed outside, I use co2 and potting soil.

Thanks a ton jeta jockey!!! Your plants look fabulous in that bucket!!!!! How do u keep the water so clear

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

UPDATE:

Plants seem to be doing well!!
My bacopa seems to be turning a little brownish red on the top... Is that normal

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Found a way to get a filter and heater in there so it basically a functioning 20 gallon tank!!!! Are there any cheap and hardy fish/ snail I could add to this set- up? I will be checking this constantly since I moved it next to my door for the outlet

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Back
Top Bottom