h2o2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have been looking for a thread about using h2o2 to treat algea on plants,its effectiveness on various types of algea&how much can be used in the planted tank without harming plants,fish & or the biofilter..any insight would be appreciated..Thx

What size tank are you dosing, or are you planning to pull the plants out and do a dip?

H2O2 disassociates rather quickly in water, so you can use quite a bit without ill effects. I have dosed with a medicine dropper up to 5mL per gallon without any issues. It has to be used as spot treatment though, spraying it directly on the effected plants use a syringe or medicine dropper. Just adding it to the tank won't do anything.

It is very effective for treating BBA and hair algae, but will not solve any underlying problems, so if those aren't corrected the algae will come right back.

Make sure your filter is turned off during dosing and for 10-20 min after dosing so that you don't damage your BB.

I understand the thinking there, but I have never done that, and never had an issue with mini cycle or anything.

However, better safe than sorry, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to follow that advice.

Lower flow (from no filters) also maximizes contact time with the H2O2 and algae, assuming you're spot treating which I would recommend. It's a twofer really.

I've read that inverts are sensitive to hydrogen peroxide treatments but have not attempted it to see just how sensitive. I've used it several times as a fungus treatment on eggs and fish with no issue.

A good read on h2o2 aquaculture use, primarily as an algaecide and fungus inhibitor.

http://www.fda.gov/ucm/groups/fdagov-public/@fdagov-av-gen/documents/document/ucm072399.pdf

Page 33 is relating to inverts but if you have enough coffee it goes into the effects on fish and algae as well what impact it has on an environmental level (relating to large volume discharge in the environment, not in home use).

aqua_chem said:
Lower flow (from no filters) also maximizes contact time with the H2O2 and algae, assuming you're spot treating which I would recommend. It's a twofer really.

Also a good point.

Will be treating my 20g tall&75g..both are planted heavily..There is no new algea growth in both tanks,I want to get rid of the algea that is hanging on..primarily battling bba..

Ok. H2o2 will be effective for that. Just spot treat and turn your filters off for awhile.

I have dosed it in tanks with inverts without ill effects. I think if you stick to 5ml a gallon you will be ok.

Well spot treated my 20gtall&my algea eating shrimp went nuts but was able to move em to my 10gplanted shrimp tank..

Update: after minimal spot treating w/h2o2 with filters off I've lost 2 snails,2 panda corys,2 rasboras&im in a mini-cycle now..

Sorry to hear that. I have used h2o2 in several different tanks and with some pretty sensitive inverts with no problem. But you do hear about this happening and it is just more evidence that what works for some doesn't work in every situation.

Was it straight h2o2 and at what molarity or concentration?

Would this treatment work for cyano bacteria? Accidentally left a small bit of algae wafer in my tank for a bit too long, and now I have a green slime building on my substrate.

Potentially, but honestly for cyano, it is one of the few times I recommend just going with meds. Using Erythromycin is a really easy way to get rid cyano with little to no side effects. Most folks will say it is last resort, but honestly, I have had cyano twice, in 2 different tanks. Both times I treated with Erythromycin, and it was gone in less than a week, and never returned.

Awesome, thanks! I do have 6 ottos in the tank, have you noticed any issues with sensitive fish?

fort384 said:
Potentially, but honestly for cyano, it is one of the few times I recommend just going with meds. Using Erythromycin is a really easy way to get rid cyano with little to no side effects. Most folks will say it is last resort, but honestly, I have had cyano twice, in 2 different tanks. Both times I treated with Erythromycin, and it was gone in less than a week, and never returned.

SAme here. After using it, never had it again. My fish seemed completely fine also.

I just started treatment this week using it, so far so good - within 24 hours it's turned a pink colour on my anubias and mini hairgrass, no effect on any fish,Amano shrimp, or Red Onion snails, my fish seemed strangely attracted to it. Turned filters off for 20 mins and treated with a 2ml syringe, I also took out my tall hairgrass and dipped in a stronger solution and they looked weirdly healthier than ever with a few hours.

What percentage was the solution, mine was 3% - I have seen it being sold up to 12%.

What is everyone doing? dilluting not dilluting? I used 15ml in my 20g tall with filters and powerhead off for 25mins(spot dosed that is)..& lost fish,snails&re-entered a minicycle which the tank pulled through quickly..

Back
Top Bottom