Hagen Natural CO2 system for $16.50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
For anyone who has a planted tank and is not using CO2 now might be a good time to invest in a Hagen Natural CO2 system. it's usually $21 something, but it's currently on sale @ Drsfostersmith.com for 16.50. For that price it's hard not to try it. Mine is on the way, post later on how well it works, but I have already heard good things.

Why not just get the bubble counter and use your own bottles? The bubble counter is only $9.99

I have tried my own CO2 setup, It did not work very well. Part of the problem is heat, cheap plastic bottles don't regulate temperature well, also you can't adjust bubble output.

Why not pay 6.50 more for a connection that is always clean, and has integrated marks on the inside that tell you how much to fill, and where.

Why not pay 6.50 more for a connection that is always clean, and has integrated marks on the inside that tell you how much to fill, and where.

Because a 2-liter soda bottle lasts longer, and everybody has measuring cups and teaspoons in their house.

The bubble ramp/diffuser is really good, and if you like things a little neater the HOT cannister with the complete Hagen setup is convienient.

also you can't adjust bubble output.

You can't adjust bubble output on any DIY co2, as faras I know. You can adjust the diffuser with the hagen unit though, if you really want less than the full absorption rate. It would have to be a pretty small tank not to use the full absorption setting.

A 2 liter JUICE bottle works even better than a soda bottle. Wider base so it doesn't tip as easy.

A clean connection is easy. Just drill a small hole, 11/64th" always works for me, in the cap of the bottle and cut the tubing at an angle. Then thread it though the hole and pull it the rest of the way though with pliers.

As corvus said you can't adjust the output on the Hagen unit either. And I suppose you think an EXPENSIVE plastic bottle will regulate heat better than a cheap one? And the price of those refill packets! One tip is to use wine yeast instead of bread yeast. Bread yeast is designed for lots of gas quick. Wine or beer yeast is designed for longer output and to work in higher alcohol environments.

I like the fact that the temp of my diy co2 fluctuates, mostly at night, as the house cools off, the co2 production dies down, when it's not needed as much by the plants

during the day, it gets pretty warm inside, and that increases the pressure in the bottles, and the co2 production.

I've seen setups where there are three bottles sitting in a 5 gal bucket of water, along with a small heater, keeping them warm 24x7

-----

I will have to try some of that wine yeast - any tips on where to find it? ... small town that I'm in hardly sells anything 'exotic', so it'll probably be mail order :/

Low tech? Well, if no plants is low tech, I don't want it! Once you try plants then you try increasing your light with retro-fit kits, then you try CO2, and you really see your plants respond. You will never go back. Then you want to improve how you dose your CO2, and you come here!! Does not get any better than this....

Low tech? Well, if no plants is low tech,

No, she was referring to low-tech planted tanks. See Diana Walstad's "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium".
She advocates lowlight/sunlight, soil substrate, no co2. It does work, in its own way. One of my tanks is low light, did no co2 on it for over 6months, then put some diy co2 on it. better with co2, but still good without.

One of the reasons i LOVE this hobby so much, there is never just one "Right Way" to do anything! We all have options, no matter what kind of tanks we keep.

Hey, CC, thanks for the reference. Now I have an excuse to set up another tank and try this method! (Like I need an excuse..)

Yes, I knew that. I did a little research first. Anyways I still think it's a great deal, and will post back with a review when it arrives.

Back
Top Bottom