Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 5 gallon betta tank has just finished cycling, and it has a major problem with hair algae. I tried winding the stuff around a brush, but that didn't work so I just used my hands to pull it out. It is everywhere: on the walls, cabomba, gravel... Is there anything I can do in particular to get rid of the stuff? Is there anything like inverts that I could add to eat it? I saw ghost shrimp might graze on it, but I think the betta would probably end up making a snack of them.

My 5 gallon betta tank has just finished cycling, and it has a major problem with hair algae. I tried winding the stuff around a brush, but that didn't work so I just used my hands to pull it out. It is everywhere: on the walls, cabomba, gravel... Is there anything I can do in particular to get rid of the stuff? Is there anything like inverts that I could add to eat it? I saw ghost shrimp might graze on it, but I think the betta would probably end up making a snack of them.

Rookie's right. here's a link that can help give you some advice on specific algae's.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

I have ghost shrimp in with my Betta with no problems. But you might want to consider AES (Amano shrimp), I have them in there too and they do a much better job. Nerite snails are good at cleaning algae too.

I am not dosing ferts, and my betta is currently being treated for fin rot. Tomorrow is his last dose so I figured I would really get in and clean it up on Thursday. My LFS doesn't have any Amanos or I would get some. I do not know why there would be an excess of nutrients unless my water supply is at fault.

Back
Top Bottom