Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi akagochi,

I am only using 6hour lighting after algae outbreak..

And about natural light it is comparitively low, windows are closed.

Another problem is that the top portion of the water is like thick which is impossible to break with fingers and I usually uses an airstone for sometime and it disappears but after a day it will come back.

Ok I am looking for flourish excel in e-bay..

Thanks all for your continous support and guidence.

This is probably bio-film which is completely normal in tanks without enough surface agitation. You can put an airstone in or make your filter increase agitation somehow.

Greetings Sujith

while you are getting the flourish excel, also purchase a drop checker/bubble counter. These are essential when feeding in CO2 because it allows you to be more precise. I echo Chem on this because increasing (slowly) your CO2 will cut back on hair algae growth, but you could also suffocate your fish if you increase without the precision the bubblecounter will provide.

Let us know how it is going. good luck!

akagochi said:
Greetings Sujith

while you are getting the flourish excel, also purchase a drop checker/bubble counter. These are essential when feeding in CO2 because it allows you to be more precise. I echo Chem on this because increasing (slowly) your CO2 will cut back on hair algae growth, but you could also suffocate your fish if you increase without the precision the bubblecounter will provide.

Let us know how it is going. good luck!
Hi akagochi,
I already have bubble counter and just ordered a drop checker also...propably ill get it tmrw.

Please tell me the flourish excel name. There is lot many products available in Seachem's site please telk me the exact purpose of excel and the exact product name...

Also tell me how it will help me in removing this stupid algae...

Thanks all for your valuable help and comments

The exact brand is Seachem Flourish excel
It is an organic carbon that you can use in conjunction with your CO2 injection.

check this site out; It gave me some insight on algae control. some of it is over kill, but I am learning, when it comes to this hobby, the more informed you are the better. (you will have to cut and paste)

Algae Control

Basically Algae not plants thrive on low levels of CO2 that is in your tank. increasing your CO2 by turning up your injection AND using the organic CO2 provided by the Flourish excel should lower your breakouts. As the site says however, there is usually going to be a little bit of algae growth in healthy aquariums. the key is figuring out what your comfort level is I guess.

Hi akagochi,
After reading this article I think I wont be adding any chemicals to my tank...

Any way please communicate the ideas so that I can also help others who love planted aquarium.

Thanks for the product name and discription given.

Ill buy excel and see ...but still I dont know how this algae is coming in my aquarium..

The color of a bulb is relatively unimportant, but rather the spectrum. 5000-10000K bulbs are usually of an appropriate spectrum and are aesthetically pleasing, but I know that at the very least Hagen markets a 18000K bulb that can be successfully used in planted tanks. 12000K bulbs aren't going to be particularly blue, and it's probably not going be a significant factor in algae growth. Actinics, on the other hand, the jury is still out on.

Wow!!!! I am confused here standing in a desert not knowing where to go...:'(

If you can't get Excel in India, can you get Cidex? It is a medical sterilizer and basically has the same active ingredient (glutaraldehyde).

Guys one help...

Please tell me a website which ships to india at a minimal time and which is secured.other than e-bay india which supplies aquarium acessories like drop checker co2 and excel.

Please it is really urgent

Back
Top Bottom