Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piranha

Aquarium Advice Freak
The problem I'm having is Hair algae growing on my live plants.I keep the light on about 10 -12 hours a day. What are some of the ways to best rid of it.Would adding more plants help?Do I need to physically clean it off the plants?If so,how is it done without harming the plants. I don't want to deprive the plants of needed light by keeping it off.

I had a huge hair algae breakout about a year ago, and these were the variety of things you can try...

1. Ameca Splendens (one of the best fish available for eating Hair Algae)
2. Flourish Excel plant fertilizer (use sparingly, I did about half of what it recommends for a dose)
3. More plants to help absorb the extra nutrients present in the water (phosphates, iron, etc)
4. **CAUTION** use a bleach solution (about 10 parts water to 1 part bleach). Pull the plants from your tank, and cut off any of the really bad areas that are covered. Douse the plants in the solution for about 30seconds to a 1minute. Rinse off under clean tap water (so that you can't smell the bleach on the plant). Return to the tank.
5. Siamese Algae Eater
6. Keep your lights on for less time till the problem is resolved may help.

Those were all the things I did to my tank, and it eradicated the hair algae. I have never had a problem since.

Two more:

1. Softer water....hair algae does very poorly in acidic water with low KH.

2. Hydrogen peroxide, dosed directly on the algae with a syringe, will kill the algae, but it must be done carefully and sparingly.

My top choice is the Ameca.

You'll also want to address the issue(s) that caused the hair algae in the first place or it will likely reappear. It is almost always caused by a nutrient imbalance in your tank, most often low nitrate levels or the presence of ammonia. Try to keep nitrate levels in your tank around 10-15 ppm and make sure your filters are not dirty and this will go a long way toward preventing future outbreaks. And keeping more plants in the tank is also a great buffer against algae. Just make sure to watch those nitrates :wink:

Thanks to all for the advice.Toirtis--can you apply hydrogen peroxide on plants without killing them? What might be the best way to make the water softer?Will this have an effect on the plants? KaiserFish--are the Ameca Splendens coldwater fish? This is a goldfish tank.Don't think I need a fertilizer added to the waste of the goldies.

Back
Top Bottom