Hair Algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I performed a big clean up with plants rearrangement on Monday and today I noticed that most of my plants are covered in hair (or fuzz) algae. The plants don't look that lively and I think I might loose almost all hornwort. Is there efficient remedies against hair algae (excluding algae eating fish)? I've heard something about rinsing plants in a bleach solution...

Do you test for nitrate? I had hair like algae (I thought it was thread or hair) when my tank was primarily hornwort and anacharis, and found dosing KNO3 (can be bought as Greenlight or Grant's stump remover at many home improvement stores) to get a positive reading for NO3 eliminated it. If you have the same algae its worth a shot. (Anacharis before, after)

I have a different colored and looking algae thats also hair like (think BBA or fuzz), with nutrient balance in a high light tank, and messing with NO3 isn't helping. So this may not be of help to you. :fadein:

Increasing the water changes will often result in less algae. :wink:

I know you said excluding egae eating fish. But I solved the problem in two days when I added 2 small SAE. May be only one would do the job. They're amaizing!

But... I guess you will have to ind alternative solutions. Good luck!

Do you test for nitrate?
My nitrate reading show 10, so it is not a reason. I also use phosphate removing media in my filter.

Increasing the water changes will often result in less algae.
That should be through. However, I did perform about 40% water change. The only problem I can think of could be that I created a big mess siphoning gravel and water stayed very clouded for about next 12 hours. Maybe, all the dirt that wasn't siphoned out and was floating in the water caused this outbreak.

I know you said excluding egae eating fish. But I solved the problem in two days when I added 2 small SAE. May be only one would do the job. They're amaizing!
For 72 gal tank I would need more than two SAE. I would get a couple, though, if I could find True SAE.

Not really, SAE get up to 10 inches long. For fish I would get a couple of Florida Flagfish because they only get upto 2.5 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom