Hair algae HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbykat9698

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I've put up with it too long, I have hair algae and I want it to go away. I did a 3 day blackout and it didn't help. My tank has a lot of plants. I have high output lighting. I have root tab fertilizers and use the flourish liquid with every water change (50% change once a week). Its the 20 gal High in my sig. The otos don't eat the algae, and I was thinking of getting amano shrimp... Help?

spot treating with h202 will do the trick. turn off all of your filtration and water flow. then dose h202 very slowly with a syringe over the algae. the next day you should see it turn red (it does that when it dies)

but you need to get to the root of the problem like neilanh said and not just treat the algae because it will just grow back if you dont solve the issue.

you didnt mention co2, definately something to consider.
you said that you dose flourish. flourish is a full line of products like flourish excel, comprehensive, nitrate, phosphate, potasium, and iron. which is it that you use? my guess is probably comprehensive. which is really pretty much just trace elements. you need to dose your macros (N-P-K)

my suggestion would be to dose ei . its very easy and much cheaper. read this.
EI light: for those less techy folks - Aquarium Plants

you can buy those ferts here
aquariumfertilizer.com

and start using co2

Back
Top Bottom