Hair algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some grey and bluish hair algae in my tank as I have recently upgraded from incandescent lights to flourescents. Are there any fish or creatures that I can put in my tank that will take care of this problem. Right now I have A lot of small timid fish so anything that is very nice will do.

TIA,
Josh

Hi Josh!

I've read that Siamese Algae Eaters do a pretty good job of taking care of hair algae.

I think they get to be about 6 inches or so though so make sure you have the room for them...

The SAE's also tend to get a bit nasty as they get older. They may attempt to latch onto your other fish and suck the begeezus out of them. Hair algae often grows when there is an excess of nitrates or other excess in the water. How are your water parameters? Is is posible you are over feeding? What kind of flourescent lights? Bristlenose catfish, rosy barbs, and ramshorn snails (which may create a problem on their own) are also reputed to eat hair algae.

You could try Florida Flag Fish, or mollies, but in general it is easier to eliminate the problem rather than treat the symptom. I agree that you might want to check your nitrate level and possibly a simple increase in water change frequency would solve the problem. Another thing is to put your lights on a timer so they do not stay on for more than 12 hours. What size tank and what wattage of light are you using?

No SAEs and flying foxes get aggresive as they get older, this is why it's a good idea to add them to a tank for algae eating purposes when they're younger.

Endgame, SAEs can get nasty also, particularly if kept in a group of less than 3. Agreed, not as bad as CAEs, but they still can do the same thing. I hve 6 in my 90, but they do scrap with each other somewhat, as they are all over 4 inches now.

Agree with tankgirl and nej, though, far better off in the long run to fix WHY you have algae, as opposed to just getting some critter to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom