Hardscape Finished - Critique Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was told that the Great Stuff would float. I did a test outside of the aquarium and even with a large rock on it, it would not sink.:banghead:

Yesterday, I pulled out the Great Stuff. The small hill on the front left was not stuck to the glass at all. The large hill to the back left, I had to pry up with a screw driver and pull with all my might to get it unstuck from the glass. Go figure. I'm glad they're out, one less thing to worry about. I replaced the Great Stuff with large gravel from the driveway, packed in stockings.

I replaced the foam for the stream with pieces of a plastic binder to separate the black sand from the tan "stream" sand. Once I get some plants planted along the banks, I'll remove the plastic. Does this look like a stream or a walkway? I was told not to use dark blue sand because it would look fake.

I'm hoping to get the plants that a friend sent me planted this afternoon and order some more tonight.

Attachments

• Water added 3-21-14.jpg
    Water added 3-21-14.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 116
Well that sounds like a huge hassle. Not sure what Great Stuff is but do know the new scape looks good. Did u get your plants?

Great Stuff is that expanding foam in a can.

No, I'm going to try to figure out what I will work in lo tech. Everything that I like needs CO2. I'm thinking about Eleocharis Belem (Japanese Hairgrass) or Lilaeopsis Climensis Maryland as a carpet???

Does this look like a stream or a walkway?

The shape/design looks good but the stones along its length look very yellow, I think if you get a closer pic or from a different angle we might be able to better answer this question for you. On a side note is great stuff safe for fish?

Looks fantastic, cant wait to see it planted!

Yes, I use Great Stuff in my sand and gravel filters to hold the grate down in my pond filtration.

Here's a closer pic of the stream. It just doesn't look like a stream to me because it's tan. It looks more like a walkway.

Attachments

• Stream.jpg
    Stream.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 115
Yes, I use Great Stuff in my sand and gravel filters to hold the grate down in my pond filtration.

Good to know....

You could try adding a light layer of river rock colored gravel along the length of it, kind of sprinkled so to speak, maybe this will give you the look your after

I might try mixing a little blue gravel in it. I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the list of plants. That will help a lot. I've been studying the lo tech plants but everyone uses the scientific names so I have to Google every plant. Very time consuming!

Skip the blue gravel. Water isn't blue; it only reflects the blue sky. It will ruin the naturalism of your scene. I agree with Huro; put in some small stones in a random pattern (you could look at stream images for ideas). Once you have plants on the edges of your stream, it will look great! What a fun project!

Looks like a dry riverbed to me. I think it would look more natural as it is than trying to make it blue. Plus a darker color and you'll loose that good color contrast.

True! I'm going to find a couple of darker pieces of gravel.

More tweaking!

I don't usually change my mind when building things but this is difficult to get the look I want. I still need to make some little changes, just haven't figured out what yet.

Attachments

• Full tank rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    Full tank rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 101
  • Back stream rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    Back stream rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Stream rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    Stream rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Right side rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    Right side rearranged 3-22-14.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 100
I'm loving this! I also like the tan sand a lot. It gives me the impression of an underwater current (like in a river or lake) You could always try the blue (if you already have it) while the scape is still dry to see how it looks and if you don't like it simply put the sand back...

Thank you!

The tank is full and working. I have a few plants in it, too.

It looks fantastic Kntry, you did an amazing job and have certainly got me excited about my tanks redo I just hope it looks as good as yours when I am done.

I have been enjoying this tank SO MUCH!

Yeah, I changed it around again! I spent most of the day rearranging rocks, taking some out and adding others. DH finally made the comment, how many times are you going to play in that tank. LOL

A friend brought me some dwarf sword grass that gets about 4" tall that I planted mid to rear of the tank. Eventually, it will fill in completely and hopefully, wave in the current. She also brought some Dwarf Anubais that I tied to the tops of the trees. They will look like leaves in a tree top.

I fixed the stream and added more capping sand.

I'm going to order some "Glosso" for a very short, thick carpet across the front of the tank and down the sides of the stream. I'm ordering KLEINER BAR SWORD that will be green on the top of a broad leaf and purple/red on the bottom, TEMPLE HYGROPHILA CORYMBOSA V. N. STRICTA that is all green, a MARBLE QUEEN SWORD that is variegated white/green broad leaf and BOLBITUS HETEROCLITA FERN BROAD LEAF a dark green, thin leafed fern, and DWARF AQUARIUM LILY BULB NYMPHAEA STELLATA a red lotus.

I decided to try going lo tech as I originally planned. If it doesn't work, I'll add CO2 and switch to DBT.

Attachments

• Iwagumi tank planted 3-31-14.jpg
    Iwagumi tank planted 3-31-14.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 83
  • Iwagumi right side planted 3-31-14.jpg
    Iwagumi right side planted 3-31-14.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Iwagumi Rocks left side planted 3-31-14.jpg
    Iwagumi Rocks left side planted 3-31-14.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Iwagumi Rocks right side planted 3-31-14.jpg
    Iwagumi Rocks right side planted 3-31-14.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 71
Thanks everyone!

I'm getting the hang of placing rocks to give the Iwagumi look. I know it's not text book but I like the way it looks now.

I've been hunting plants for days. I finally found just what I wanted on eBay, talked to the seller, started putting together my order and all of a sudden his 100+ listings disappeared, except for 3???

I think I found a new place to order from.

I've changed my mind again about the Co2. :hide: (I've built or remodeled several houses and built 11 ponds. I've never changed my mind like this!) I'm scared of the CO2 and it's expensive so I'm on the ledge about getting it but the plants seem to do so much better with it so I'm going to do it.)

Back
Top Bottom