Hardscape for Forest Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is a trial run at a hardscape for a 29-gallon, forest-themed, planted tank. It's my first try at a hardscape, and I am pretty sure I'll end up revising it. I welcome any ideas, corrections, or suggestions anyone has.

It's made with play sand, branches found by the Potomac River and then baked in the oven, and rocks found by the river and boiled. I probably need to test the rocks for metal content, though, before adding fish. Can anyone tell me which tests would be most important?

I ordered a variety of low-light plants from Goatnad and am excited to see if I can get any of them to grow in a low-tech environment. I have a VivaGrow lamp which gives a lot of flexibility with regard to light levels. I can use Flourish if that sounds like a good choice? I'd like to find some moss to use as tree foliage and possibly ground cover. I have a second tank cycling, too, which will get any plants that don't seem the right scale or type fot this tank.

Thanks for this place to show off and ask questions. I love this hobby but have never ventured into the planted tanks before.

3422-albums14770-picture72041.jpg

3422-albums14770-picture72043.jpg

That's a pretty cool idea. Are you going to use Christmas moss or Java moss for the tree's?

I really like this. I like the back lighting. I wish I would have seen this before I sent your plants. I would have sent you some peacock and Thai moss to try out in the trees :(

May not be a popular opinion, but I can dig the simplicity of the tank’s current state. A scattering of mini Indian Almond leaves would complete the look. But that’s not the direction you are going with (Planted).

That's a pretty cool idea. Are you going to use Christmas moss or Java moss for the tree's?

Thanks. I do want to use moss--I'm still learning about the different varieties. Ideally, it would be great to find darker colors for trees or ground cover up front, but something paler in color to make trees in the back look like they are in the distance.

I really like this. I like the back lighting. I wish I would have seen this before I sent your plants. I would have sent you some peacock and Thai moss to try out in the trees :(

That's really nice of you! When I asked you about java moss, it never even occurred to me that other types of moss might grow in a low-tech tank. I am pretty sure I'll contact you again in the future for another shipment as soon as I figure out what I want to do. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

May not be a popular opinion, but I can dig the simplicity of the tank’s current state. A scattering of mini Indian Almond leaves would complete the look. But that’s not the direction you are going with (Planted).

Thank you. I admit I kind of like the "snowy" atmosphere and simplicity, too. However, I've seen some amazing planted, "forested" tanks online, and I'm excited to see if I can get plants to grow. I enjoy that this tank will start out in wintertime and hopefully grow into spring and summer.

Update on low-tech forest tank

Hi, all,

It has been a few weeks since I received a package of low-light plants from Goatnad. As you can see in this picture, they arrived in beautiful condition. The tank still had "new tank" cloudy water when I took the picture, and the lighting was not optimal, but you can see the plants are gorgeous. Thank you so much, Goatnad!

I was very excited to add plants to my "forest" but also tried to remind myself to be realistic about expectations given that this is my first planted tank. I figured getting a variety of plants at first was a good idea. If some grew and others didn't, I could focus on getting more of the ones that did well.

Below is a picture of the tank immediately after planting it with dwarf sagittaria, staurogyne repens, limnophilia heterophylla, and hydrocotyle sp. japan.

I was expecting dwarf sag. to do the best given all the articles online saying it is the easiest plant. However, the s. repens and the hydrocotyle have clearly done the best in my tank so far. The s. repens have gotten a bit taller and have stayed nice and green. The hydrocotyle is actually spreading and growing quite quickly. It has a tendency to grow upward, so I am constantly pulling pieces sideways to make it cover ground instead. It is very pretty with its little clover leaves, and I am delighted at how well it is doing!

The limnophilia heterophylla and dwarf sag. had me very worried for the first few days. I am still worried about the dwarf sag, which has mostly died except for a few brave shoots hanging on. The limnophilia seems to be making a recovery, though, with some new green growth showing once I cut off some of the old dead parts. I have it planted along the back of the tank and like how the delicate greenery looks like trees in the distance.

I am running a Vivagrow lamp for about 8 hours a day on max setting (supposedly good for low-light plants). I'm dosing Flourish Excel every day, Flourish every two to three days, and Flourish Iron every time I change water.

I don't want to post a current picture, because right now the tank is going through a hideous brown algae phase (Tank just finished cycling...), so it looks a bit like an Addams Family Tank. However, I'm happy with the start of my forest and hopefully will be able to post some pictures after these diatoms go away.

Huge thanks again to Goatnad for all the wonderful plants and counsel. I have to emphasize how lush and healthy they were when they arrived. I am not sure why my tank is not hospitable to dwarf sag. right now, but I am still learning all this and may try again sometime in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_9333b.jpg
    IMG_9333b.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 73
Hi, all,
I was expecting dwarf sag. to do the best given all the articles online saying it is the easiest plant. However, the s. repens and the hydrocotyle have clearly done the best in my tank so far. The s. repens have gotten a bit taller and have stayed nice and green. The hydrocotyle is actually spreading and growing quite quickly. It has a tendency to grow upward, so I am constantly pulling pieces sideways to make it cover ground instead. It is very pretty with its little clover leaves, and I am delighted at how well it is doing!

The limnophilia heterophylla and dwarf sag. had me very worried for the first few days. I am still worried about the dwarf sag, which has mostly died except for a few brave shoots hanging on. The limnophilia seems to be making a recovery, though, with some new green growth showing once I cut off some of the old dead parts. I have it planted along the back of the tank and like how the delicate greenery looks like trees in the distance.

I am running a Vivagrow lamp for about 8 hours a day on max setting (supposedly good for low-light plants). I'm dosing Flourish Excel every day, Flourish every two to three days, and Flourish Iron every time I change water.

I don't want to post a current picture, because right now the tank is going through a hideous brown algae phase (Tank just finished cycling...), so it looks a bit like an Addams Family Tank. However, I'm happy with the start of my forest and hopefully will be able to post some pictures after these diatoms go away.

Huge thanks again to Goatnad for all the wonderful plants and counsel. I have to emphasize how lush and healthy they were when they arrived. I am not sure why my tank is not hospitable to dwarf sag. right now, but I am still learning all this and may try again sometime in the future.

Nice to see it planted! looking nice!(y)

dont worry about the sag, they should bonus right back. it can take dwarf sag a bit of time to settle in when added to a new tank especially if the tank has different water parameters then the original tank. they are also known to melt back because of this so dont be surprised if you see new leaves springing out of nowhere.

here is an idea for you with the hydro. have you thought about planting at the base of your larger trees and then twisting it up the tree making it look like vines?

another recommendation i have would be to put 2-4 stems of the staurogyne around the base of some of your trees to give the look of shrubbery growing around it.

i agree on the limno. it does give that look of a dead forest butting up against a green lush forest. i like it.

you are most welcome and glad you are enjoying them.keep up the work and in no time you will have a thick lush tank.

Back
Top Bottom