Hardscaping on planting substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAX3000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I'm setting up a new planted fw tank and need some advice on how to lay my hardscape over planting substrate and sand.

I want to get a decent amount of slate in there, with the flexibility to change it up a bit in future, but I don't want to just plonk the lot on top of the sand cause it won't be stable. If I put the rocks in first, then the substrate, I won't be able to move them about in future, cause all the plant basis will leak out into the water...!

Here's my idea.
I lay egg crate across the entire floor, propped up on small rings cut from plumber's piping. Then I add the plantbasis, followed by half the sand. Then I add the rocks and then the rest of the sand... That way the rocks are properly supported beneath the sand and raised off the glass and not buried in mud!

I'm concerned this will restrict flow through the substrate and cause problems and / or limit the benefit from the fertilising substrate.

Any thoughts / improvements on this much appreciated...

Sent from my SM-G850F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't heard of the ring of Plummer's pipe, but eggcrate certainly helps. It's a great way to create levels and slope the back without having to use extra substrate, which would erode and flatten out without substrate supports.

It's not too bad to move the hardscape after. I just use a substrate aquascaping tool like the one on the left here.. easy peasy...

Edit:
Actually, check out this thread. He uses eggcrate and, what appears to be, the plummer's pipe cut into rings (as you mention). Bottom of post 1.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=371193

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. And what a beautiful scape that one is too...!

I'm still not sure what to do. I know lots of heavy rocks on sand equals unstable and risky, but if I put the rocks in THEN the dirt and sand, won't I cause a mess every time I move the rock, if it's stuck in the dirt? Or am I worried about nohing?

I wasn't planning on building up the substrate so much and keeping it relatively flat, so should I just put a single flat layer of egg crate across the whole floor and then just fill it up with dirt and sand and just be careful when I move rocks...?

Sorry, probably sound like stupid questions, but I'm not used to large tanks or using dirt...

Sent from my SM-G850F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom