Hate losing fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With 5 small fish in a 125 gallon a cycle is impossible to even think about. There's just not enough fish to cause ammonia to build. If you are going with small schooling fish I would add another 10 minimum to get things moving.

Maybe I am old school but that's what worked for me. I am not saying don't do any water changes during your cycle; but don't do large changes too often when your first starting out because you won't even get that bio load you need on your ornaments filters etc. How could you when your dumping it all out? Once your up and running sure change 75% every day if you want but until then I have found if you let the tank cycle with patients and test your parameters with small water changes maybe every 10 days it will cycle nice. Good luck it just takes time especially if the tank is a brand new unused tank.

I agree with you. I did a fish in cycle and was doing 50% water changes everyday to keep the ammonia down. It kept my tank from cycling. As soon as I stopped the water changes my tank parameters spiked and a week later I was cycled.

Attachments

• image-693115474.jpg
    image-693115474.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image-3054317190.jpg
    image-3054317190.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image-2886524035.jpg
    image-2886524035.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 29
Changing the water might slow down your cycle BUT it wont stall it. There will always be some ammonia in the water to keep feeding the BB

I agree in my 55g to start my cycle I had 2 hardy in the tank, and used a lot of fish food.. The ammonia spiked to 4+ PPM easily... I did 70% water changes every single day and used filters from my 27g and 30g and in less than 2 weeks my tank was cycled... the ammonia took about 9 days to go away and the nitrites only lasted for like 3-4 days and that was it..

Changing the water wont do anything to your cycle.. just use prime to get ride of the chloramines in the water so it doesn't kill off your bacteria... and in fact my water supply reads 2ppm of ammonia from the tap because of the chloramine so that helped me actually

Yours probably only took 2 weeks because you used filters from your 27 and 30 that I assume was already established so the bio load is already there. Its a great idea if you have that option it would def. Speed up the process. And then water changes wouldnt effect the cycle becsuse of the used filters! but if this is your first tank starting fresh its going to take atleast a month to cycle; if you get a good bio base.

Back
Top Bottom