Hate losing fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just lost 3 fish this week, the culprit some plants I bought of from Petco wich later I found they weren't aquatic plants. Doing some research I read that when some of this plants are dying they can poison your water. You know they
already in a bucket. Do your research when buying a plant just cause it looks good. Might do a water change just to be on the safe side.
Just thought I share this...

I wouldn't blame the plant for the cause of your problems before looking at other possibilities honestly.

For example, what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings currently at?

What stocking do you have?

What fish died?

How big is your tank?

How long did you have the fish?

What is your water change schedule?

What plant was it?

After those are looked at then it might be possible to blame the plant.

I tested my water yesterday all good maybe a 7.4 ph but that's not bad. Is a 125 and the guppy that died has being there almost two weeks maybe three not sure. I don't have the name if the plants right now but some is a bamboo like the others are triangle leaf that are kind of white and a bit of green. I did put the plants there two weeks ago and were the only plants that had a bit of algea. Gonna try to put a picture.

I highly doubt a few decaying plants in a 125 would cause enough of a spike to harm any inhabitants. How old is the setup?

I am going to agree with Billbug. You would have had to put an obscene number of plants into the tank to cause a loss of fish life from it.

What you suggest could happened? and what should I do if anything?

Still need some information to help figure it out.

What is the water change schedule?
What exactly are the parameter readings at?
What other fish / inverts do you have?
What were the other 2 fish that died?

Well I change the water once a week big water changes being a dirt tank. Only got some neons and guppies about 5 neons and 4 four guppies I don't want to add too much fish at once. everything is reading 0 except for the ph at 7.4, my tank will be a month old on the 25 of this month. I got no invertebrates and lost 2 neons and 2 guppies. Still got 2 guppies and 3 neons they seem active. This is why I thought it might be a plant but I could be wrong.

At a month old it could be about anything. Possibly even an infection that they had from the fish store. Did they act strangely at all before they died?

I gotta admit one of the Neons was not looking good, since they were on sale for a dollar I took it home. I'm planning buying a few more fish this weekend. But not many.

Your problem is that your tank hasn't even started to cycle yet. You need allot more fish than just 5 neons and 4 guppies to cycle a 125. If your going to put fish in right away you need to load that tank up with a few schools of fish. Get a nice bio load going and stop changing the water! You are dumping all your established media every time you change the water during the cycle process! Sounds mean but that's how it works. Get those nitrite, nitrate and amonia levels to spike and then get established. After your readings spike you will lose a bunch of fish and have a few survivors. But your tank will then be ready for the fish you want. Then you do a 25-50% water change once a week. And you will be established and happy with a nice set up and healthy fish.

Your problem is that your tank hasn't even started to cycle yet. You need allot more fish than just 5 neons and 4 guppies to cycle a 125. If your going to put fish in right away you need to load that tank up with a few schools of fish. Get a nice bio load going and stop changing the water! You are dumping all your established media every time you change the water during the cycle process! Sounds mean but that's how it works. Get those nitrite, nitrate and amonia levels to spike and then get established. After your readings spike you will lose a bunch of fish and have a few survivors. But your tank will then be ready for the fish you want. Then you do a 25-50% water change once a week. And you will be established and happy with a nice set up and healthy fish.

Change water is necessary during a fish in cycle. There is no need to sacrifice fish just to get the tank cycled. Here's a good write by jeta, featured on the front page of this site...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

I agree you shouldn't sacrafice fish but seen Rafy already has fish in there and has already lost fish your kind of commited to a fish in cycle. Unless you safely catch and return your fish that are left because they are not going to make it in an uncycled tank. Then add your own amonia and wait 6 weeks for the tank to cycle. Good luck cycling your tank taking out large amounts of water once a week..its not gonna work!

I agree you shouldn't sacrafice fish but seen Rafy already has fish in there and has already lost fish your kind of commited to a fish in cycle. Unless you safely catch and return your fish that are left because they are not going to make it in an uncycled tank. Then add your own amonia and wait 6 weeks for the tank to cycle. Good luck cycling your tank taking out large amounts of water once a week..its not gonna work!

No offense, but you're giving bad advice...Water changes don't really affect a cycle like you believe... I've fish in cycled almost every tank I've started. Read the article I posted. The beneficial bacteria takes home in the filter, on decor, plants, substrate, etc... Changing water is only bringing down dangerous levels, making it safer and less stressful on your fish. You can do daily water changes and your tank will still cycle just fine.

I started a fishless cycle caused is a dirt tank I let it ran for two weeks before adding a few fish. Trust me I needed those water changes this first weeks. I can skip this week just to see how my levels behave. But yeah im getting a few more fish this weekend.

Maybe I am old school but that's what worked for me. I am not saying don't do any water changes during your cycle; but don't do large changes too often when your first starting out because you won't even get that bio load you need on your ornaments filters etc. How could you when your dumping it all out? Once your up and running sure change 75% every day if you want but until then I have found if you let the tank cycle with patients and test your parameters with small water changes maybe every 10 days it will cycle nice. Good luck it just takes time especially if the tank is a brand new unused tank.

OP, are you testing with strips, liquid tests, or having your water tested by a store?

When you already have fish in, it's best to do water changes accordingly to keep you ammonia and nitrite(which ever is spiking at the time) around .25ppm. At that level, it should be safe for your fish. Once those spike and go to 0, and you're seeing only nitrate, you'll want to keep it around nitrate around 10-20ppm. Sure, water changes may make your cycle seem longer, and it's a PITA, but it beats losing fish or making them suffer through unfavorable conditions.

I test water myself. After reading all the replies I believe my tank could still be cycling. Even tho my levels are good.

Is an API water test is drops last test the only reading a bit high was the PH 7.4 but that's not bad

Back
Top Bottom