Having trouble with plants in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a trick to getting plants to grow in pool filter sand? I can't seem to get anything but Anubias to grow in my 20 long. I've tried anacharis and some grasses and they die off in about a week. Tank has corys, a DG and an Oto and has been up about 2 months, parameters are good. I've been using Flourish and Flourish excel. Guy at my lfs thinks problem may be the sand but I wanted to check with you guys. How can I get more plants to grow? Thanks for any help.
W

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is there a trick to getting plants to grow in pool filter sand? I can't seem to get anything but Anubias to grow in my 20 long. I've tried anacharis and some grasses and they die off in about a week. Tank has corys, a DG and an Oto and has been up about 2 months, parameters are good. I've been using Flourish and Flourish excel. Guy at my lfs thinks problem may be the sand but I wanted to check with you guys. How can I get more plants to grow? Thanks for any help.
W

If your trying to grow plants like Amazon swords, crypts, bacopa or anything that's roots are in the substrate, you will need root tabs since pool filter sand doesn't offer any nutrients for the roots

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

If your trying to grow plants like Amazon swords, crypts, bacopa or anything that's roots are in the substrate, you will need root tabs since pool filter sand doesn't offer any nutrients for the roots

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Yeah, I was wondering if that would help. So the liquid ferts won't help? What exactly is the point of them then?

Yeah, I was wondering if that would help. So the liquid ferts won't help? What exactly is the point of them then?

Liquid ferts help with leaf growth and all the supplements the leaves and the stems need. But roots tabs give the roots food so heavy root feeding plants like crypts and swords have enough to eat

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Liquid Ferts are for plants that pull nutrients from the water column, if you have a rooting plant then you need to provide nutrients from under the roots. So root tabs. Your anubius will pull the nutrients from the water column.

I just started my planted 10 gallon with sand. As soon as I put in a root tab (immediately beneath my root-feeding sword) I saw MAJOR improvement in growth, literally overnight. (this was in fact yesterday into today). Definitely give root tabs a shot.

If you dont mind doing DIY, you can make your own Root Tabs on the cheap!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/mebbids-diy-root-tabs-308735.html

Stuff is freely available at your local home improvement store! As for the Gel Caps, you can pick some up at your nearest Vitamin Shoppe or Amazon.

I agree I got 500 gel caps for about 17.00 and the osmocote was about another 10.00, it pretty much supplies me with a few year's worth of root tabs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also what kind of grasses are you trying to grow and what lights do you have? Many grasses don't work with low lighting so it could be that also.

Wow. Thank you guys so much for all the information. I'll definitely check out the root tabs and maybe make some of my own! Is there a site or chart or link or someplace that lists plants and wether they get nutrients from the substrate vs the water?

Last week I replaced the old bulb with a Flora-Glo T8. Not sure what was in it before.

In that case, sand isnt the problem. the light fixture is. You are running with low light and trying higher light plants.

With that light, anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, and bolbitis are good options.

The anacharis likely died from the excel.

Also what kind of grasses are you trying to grow and what lights do you have? Many grasses don't work with low lighting so it could be that also.

The first one was a short grass but I'm not sure what the name was. The second type was some sort of tall Italian grass I think?

In that case, sand isnt the problem. the light fixture is. You are running with low light and trying higher light plants.

With that light, anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, and bolbitis are good options.

The anacharis likely died from the excel.

Got it. I'll try those for sure. I also recently read on another thread that anacharis doesn't like Excel. At least now I know. I get flustered sometimes at my lfs when what they tell me doesn't match my research. Is it possible for you to come work at my lfs pleeeeease!?
:)

Got it. I'll try those for sure. I also recently read on another thread that anacharis doesn't like Excel. At least now I know. I get flustered sometimes at my lfs when what they tell me doesn't match my research. Is it possible for you to come work at my lfs pleeeeease!?
:)

Just stop listening to your lfs :)

Back
Top Bottom