Hazy, cloudy water issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm TG I hadn't thought of that. And I think you are right. I store the unit behind the tank on the same surface, but not mounted to the tank side. I looked in the lines, but didn't see any white stuff, but there very well could have been some that got into the tank. **EDIT: Scratch that last statement. I found white, slimy stuff at the outlet of my CO2 line, going into the bottom of the diffusor ladder.** That does make sense. It might also explain my unusual readings if baking soda, yeast and sugar also got out into the tank.

No the Hagen didn't come with a gas separator, so I think I'll be building one of those post-hast!

Readings this morning:

7.2 pH
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
5 ppm nitrates
7-8º KH

I still have a whitish hazing but I now agree fully with TG that it is most likely some of the CO2 yeast mixture escaping into the tank. I am going to build a gas separator (possibly even the powered reactor CO2 mixing device) and put that in line to stop the solids from getting back into the tank.

Things are settling back down. This mornings readings are:

7.2 pH
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
5 ppm nitrates
KH

I have the phosphate test kit on order from Big Al's and it should be here Friday.

My gas separator is complete and in the loop. I went a slightly different route than the plans that greenmagi posted. But it works none the less. Final readings for this thread:

7.2 pH
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
5 ppm nitrates
KH

Thanks TankGirl, greenmagi, and everyone else for the help.

Out...

Speaking of which...I think I've got greenwater starting up in my own planted ten gallon. Certainly appears to be a greenish cloud developing. Damn.

Just a quick update. Since my Hagen CO2 system did not come with a gas separator and at greenmagi's suggestion I built one and installed it yesterday. With the gas separator on the CO2 line I have no haze at all. The water is very clear and my readings have settled down nicely.

7.0 or 7.1 pH
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
5 ppm nitrates
KH

I think my CO2 levels are starting to come up so the slight drop in my pH is to be expected.

Thanks for the update - it is nice to find out how things turn out, and this provides some insight into another possibilty when people post about cloudy water problems.

I have a small update for what it's worth for those of you who might experience the same thing I had happen here.

After 4 days with the DIY gas separator I started getting a small amount of that milky, white slim at the CO2 outlet at the bottom of my Hagen diffuser ladder. Amazingly enough though one of my oto's and one of my snails absolutely love the stuff and plowed right through it. The CO2 bubbles were smacking them in the head and body but they didn't seem to mind and just kept eating it. Maybe this is their first taste of real white bread... ;)

That is very interesting! I am surprised you are getting the "goo" with a separator in place, but am glad it is manageable and that you have tank residents to dine upon it - :D

Fubie said:
I have a small update for what it's worth for those of you who might experience the same thing I had happen here.

After 4 days with the DIY gas separator I started getting a small amount of that milky, white slim at the CO2 outlet at the bottom of my Hagen diffuser ladder. Amazingly enough though one of my oto's and one of my snails absolutely love the stuff and plowed right through it. The CO2 bubbles were smacking them in the head and body but they didn't seem to mind and just kept eating it. Maybe this is their first taste of real white bread... ;)

Maybe it was what was left in the line between the separator and the latter?

I thought I had thoroughly cleaned the lines before reconnecting them. I couldn't put a brush through the line so I was only able to run warm water through the line. I also, very thoroughly cleaned the diffuser ladder. Who knows??? It's good that what is left the residents enjoy. This whole thing has been an interesting mystery to solve.

I guess (because they haven't started acting funny or turned up dead) if that white stuff is yeast, etc., that it isn't bad for the critters? Anyone know for sure?

And the saga continues...

Back
Top Bottom