Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

HC dry start advice

Hi guys, this is my first attempt at a dry start

I can't really find anything on how much water/moisture is required to keep it healthy.

Some people on Google say flood it, ADA say spray it and cover with plastic.

Currently I've added no water but I haze it in water 3 times a day. I feel like most of it escapes after a while through the bit of plastic I leave open.

Notes: I include a small amount of metricide while hazing to avoid fungus and algae.

I have about 9 hours of light exposure per day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1487118125717.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	294951

Old 02-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florio View Post
Hi guys, this is my first attempt at a dry start

I can't really find anything on how much water/moisture is required to keep it healthy.

Some people on Google say flood it, ADA say spray it and cover with plastic.

Currently I've added no water but I haze it in water 3 times a day. I feel like most of it escapes after a while through the bit of plastic I leave open.

Notes: I include a small amount of metricide while hazing to avoid fungus and algae.

I have about 9 hours of light exposure per day.

Attachment 294951

I've done this in a 3G cube just recently. I filled the water up to just below the substrate surface (basically under the top layer of substrate.) you want to make sure you don't have any puddles tho. Once the water gets abit high then suck it out.

I left one corner open with the plastic to avoid mold.

I had 12-14 hours of light per day. Misting twice a day. You want the substrate to stay completely moist and never dry out so having water atleast half way up the substrate is a good idea.

Here's a pic of the small carpet I grew
http://pho.to/AcHDR

Old 02-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks good! I'll have to try filling it a bit then.

Its never DRY but the wet shine definitely goes away after a while.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
looks good! I'll have to try filling it a bit then.

Its never DRY but the wet shine definitely goes away after a while.

Yea mine was constantly wet. What substrate are you using? If you fill half way up the substrate it should draw the water to the surface and keep the substrate wet even without misting. Definitely keep a corner open for air flow tho or you will get some serious mold issues. Also you want your lighting to be as strong as possible. I had a 6w led over mine and it took a good 5-6 weeks to fill in

I'm actually about to do another dry start in a few weeks but this time I'm using glosso from seeds (just for experience).

Are you going to be injecting co2 once you flood the tank?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Yea mine was constantly wet. What substrate are you using? If you fill half way up the substrate it should draw the water to the surface and keep the substrate wet even without misting. Definitely keep a corner open for air flow tho or you will get some serious mold issues. Also you want your lighting to be as strong as possible. I had a 6w led over mine and it took a good 5-6 weeks to fill in

I'm actually about to do another dry start in a few weeks but this time I'm using glosso from seeds (just for experience).

It's Ada aquasoil. I have used it previously so hopefully there's still some good nutrients in there. And yes I have a c02 reactor set up
Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

The set up is also pretty hilly so I think misting will be nessisary for the higher spots
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is another question. What's the max about of time I can keep the lights on? I have 2 out of 4 of my t5 HO on. Should I put on all 4? The two are on for about 10 hours right now but I would love to keep them on longer
Old 02-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Here is another question. What's the max about of time I can keep the lights on? I have 2 out of 4 of my t5 HO on. Should I put on all 4? The two are on for about 10 hours right now but I would love to keep them on longer

I've read that you can go 12-14 hours with no problems. I had mine on for mostly 12 hours. I'd say with the 6w led over the 3G cube I would of had some pretty intense light. Switch another one on a see if you get faster growth. If you do then go the next one aswell. Just experiment with it and watch the plants reaction
Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I've read that you can go 12-14 hours with no problems. I had mine on for mostly 12 hours. I'd say with the 6w led over the 3G cube I would of had some pretty intense light. Switch another one on a see if you get faster growth. If you do then go the next one aswell. Just experiment with it and watch the plants reaction
I just started the tank yesterday so I'm really not sure if I'm doing a good job yet. I'll have to see.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey guys so some of my hc isn't doing too well their starting to look kind of yellowed or brown. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Tags
advice, dry, star, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com