Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heater below co2 defuser. Is this ok?

I have a small tank but without lid and my AC is directly where the tank is so I need a bigger heater than suggested per gallon. I have two questions.

1) I changed heater position from back to the side of tank where it look least bad. But co2 defuser is just above it. I want to know if this is ok or will it have any effect on co2 saturation in water.

2) Defuser was at same place but in middle before but now its near surface so is this ok also?

Please have a look:

https://youtu.be/iddKvjdyRPo

Please advise. Thanks

Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't see the heater hurting anything but you want your diffuser closer to the bottom of the tank to allow the co2 bubbles a longer time to diffuse. That close to the surface you are gassing off probably 90% or more of the co2 in less than a second. Do you use a drop checker? I always try to place my diffuser in the current or into the intake of the filter. Nice tank by the way.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

To add to the above post, placing the diffuser so that the filter current pushes the bubbles around is beneficial as well. Increases the dwell time for the bubbles for better gas absorption.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree, you are wasting a lot of CO2 by having it that close to the surface / having bubbles off gas.

Place it lower in the tank and in a high flow area to distribute the bubbles everywhere and increase the contact time with the water.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

I too concur with the placement of the diffuser. The goal is to put that as deep as possible and in a place that keeps the bubbles pushed down into the water column.

The longer the CO2 bubbles are churned around in the water column the more CO2 is dissolving into the water as carbonic acid and the more carbonic acid means more carbon for your plants. (This is also why your PH drops with CO2 addition, carbonic acid lowers PH).

This is also a reason to upgrade to a CO2 reactor to get more churn and more dissolve
Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funken_A View Post

This is also a reason to upgrade to a CO2 reactor to get more churn and more dissolve
Only to a point. A single diffuser can provide enough for a large tank (180 gallons) it just needs to be placed in the right spot to maximize efficiency.

Also, direct CO2 bubbles toughing leaves is the single best way for plants to utilize the CO2.

So the argument can go both ways

Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Only to a point. A single diffuser can provide enough for a large tank (180 gallons) it just needs to be placed in the right spot to maximize efficiency.

Also, direct CO2 bubbles toughing leaves is the single best way for plants to utilize the CO2.

yes it can.. A reactor is more efficient overall and more reliable IMO.. I've had issues with diffusers... getting plugged or watching bubbles drift to the surface and end up in the air.

As for CO2 directly on leafs. If your diffuser is distributing CO2 bubbles thoroughly to the underside of leafs across an entire aquascape then yes, but IMO in the name of efficiency and predictability I do recommend reactors and dissolving CO2 into the water column.
Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
yes it can.. A reactor is more efficient overall and more reliable IMO.. I've had issues with diffusers... getting plugged or watching bubbles drift to the surface and end up in the air.

As for CO2 directly on leafs. If your diffuser is distributing CO2 bubbles thoroughly to the underside of leafs across an entire aquascape then yes, but IMO in the name of efficiency and predictability I do recommend reactors and dissolving CO2 into the water column.
Exactly the reasons I run a reactor and not a diffuser

Well, I have a low pressure regulator so diffusers literally don't work with my setups, instead I run low pressure into an inline reactor.

I just wanted to make sure OP knows that diffusers will work without issue on larger tanks, and have certain benefits that reactors cannot achieve.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
I don't see the heater hurting anything but you want your diffuser closer to the bottom of the tank to allow the co2 bubbles a longer time to diffuse. That close to the surface you are gassing off probably 90% or more of the co2 in less than a second. Do you use a drop checker? I always try to place my diffuser in the current or into the intake of the filter. Nice tank by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
To add to the above post, placing the diffuser so that the filter current pushes the bubbles around is beneficial as well. Increases the dwell time for the bubbles for better gas absorption.
Quote:
I agree, you are wasting a lot of CO2 by having it that close to the surface / having bubbles off gas.

Place it lower in the tank and in a high flow area to distribute the bubbles everywhere and increase the contact time with the water.
Quote:
I too concur with the placement of the diffuser. The goal is to put that as deep as possible and in a place that keeps the bubbles pushed down into the water column.

The longer the CO2 bubbles are churned around in the water column the more CO2 is dissolving into the water as carbonic acid and the more carbonic acid means more carbon for your plants. (This is also why your PH drops with CO2 addition, carbonic acid lowers PH).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly the reasons I run a reactor and not a diffuser

Well, I have a low pressure regulator so diffusers literally don't work with my setups, instead I run low pressure into an inline reactor.

I just wanted to make sure OP knows that diffusers will work without issue on larger tanks, and have certain benefits that reactors cannot achieve.
Thanks a lot guys. I just don't like too much bubbles when it is below the filter current flow. What i can do is that i place the diffuser as below as possible but then the heater will come on top before the bubbles touch the surface. At bottom there will be defuser and on top there will be heater above it or if i need to put defuser and heater at different places and there should be no obstruction by the heater between bubbles and surface?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

An obstruction between the bubbles and the surface is not a bad thing. Anything to slow them down; itís a waste if they go straight to the surface. A decent flow should remedy this.

Tags
ate, co2, eat, eater, heat, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com